Can't upgrade to 4 (or whatever is current)

Options

In 2010, my husband gave me a 1Password license as a gift. My app does not realize it needs to be updated. Since I didn't receive any emails, neither did I :-).

I want to use 1Password on my phone/iPad, and I want wifi sync. But I can't because that requires an upgraded version. Do I buy the app again and it will figure out how to update? Is there a better way?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: not yet
Referrer: forum-search:can't upgrade

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @jrothman,

As you've discovered, Wi-Fi Sync changed dramatically at one point, 1Password 4 to be precise. Now as you're running Yosemite (OS X 10.10) you can upgrade to 1Password 5 as it's sole requirement is Yosemite. If you were to purchase from our AgileBits Store (one option) you could use your existing 1Password licence key to obtain a 50% discount using the following URL http://agilebits.com/store/upgrade. If installed and launched on the same Mac that has 1Password 3 then 1Password 5 will find your data and import - the migration should be seamless.

Now we also sell 1Password 5 in Apple's Mac App Store and there is one key difference between the two which is support for iCloud Sync but you sacrifice the ability to obtain an upgrade discount price as we don't have the ability to do so there. We cover this sort of thing in the following page, Should I buy 1Password from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store?

The reason 1Password 3 is saying it is up to date is that it is. It should have notified you once or maybe twice of the existence of a newer version but we didn't want to be incessantly bugging people. Of course the counter side to that is people may not have been aware of a newer version too.

Now nobody is forced to upgrade and you can still sync between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS but the only option available is Dropbox. Of course upgrading does mean a host of new features and bug fixes too which we hope sweetens the deal :smile:

If you have any follow up questions or feel I haven't answered anything in sufficient detail please do post back.

• jrothman
    jrothman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much! On a holiday weekend, no less. Wow. I am up and running.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

On behalf of Adam (littlebobbytables), you're absolutely welcome. We're here all the time to help, be sure to reach out if you need any further assistance.

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.