Revealing passwords and editing entries directly within the Chrome extension on Windows

The 1Password 5 Chrome extension on OS X allows the user to reveal passwords by clicking CTRL or selecting "reveal" in the drop-down menu. To my knowledge, there is no equivalent support in the 1Password 4 Chrome extension on Windows. This requires Windows users to click "open in 1Password", navigate to the password field (which can often require scrolling to find) and click the lock icon (which does not obviously map to the concept of "revealing" a password). The overall experience is tedious, click-intensive and frustrating. Indeed, I am writing this message in the hope that it may help salvage a close family member's deteriorating relationship to 1Password.

A closely related issue is that the Chrome extension on Windows does not allow the user to edit entries directly within the browser extension. This is of course possible using the Chrome extension on OS X, and according to the same family member, this (as well as revealing passwords) was possible in earlier versions of the Chrome extension on Windows. The trouble began when she was upgraded to 1Password 4.

Are there plans to support these features in the Windows version of the Chrome extension?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: Windows 8
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @cbeams - you are correct that there is no way to directly edit or reveal passwords from the 1Password browser extension. You have to select to open the item in the 1Password app. Clicking on the password from the extension will copy its contents to the clipboard. Is there a reason you need to reveal the password? It should automatically fill the password field when you select the 1Password item from the 1Password browser extension.

• cbeams
    cbeams
    Community Member

Hi @LauraR, thanks for your response. I'm afraid that the rationale for needing to reveal the password within the browser extension is a bit convoluted. The Windows user in question is also an iPhone user. She has 1Password installed on her iPhone, but has trouble entering her master password there, due to its length and the relative ease with which one can make mistakes on a touchscreen. She is often near her Windows laptop when she needs to enter a password on her phone, and so she wants to reveal the password from within the Chrome browser extension, which is where she usually interacts with 1Password. She finds the full 1Password 4 application interface difficult to navigate and too scroll-and-click intensive. The workflow I just described was one that she says worked perfectly prior to the 1Password 4 upgrade.

Like I said, this rationale is unfortunate, but the fact that this use case did work for her and has now regressed is the real source of her frustration. It would be ideal of course if she were able to accurately enter her password on her iPhone, it would be ideal if she were happy using the full 1Password application interface on Windows, but in the end she is not. I can sympathize with her in any case; if I were a Windows user and the 1Password Chrome extension stopped allowing me to reveal and edit, I would be frustrated. I too use these features frequently on my Mac (although for different reasons).

Thanks again for your consideration.

• @cbeams - she can use the 1Password Safari extension on her iPhone which will auto-fill for her. Here is the user guide to enable the extension. And this guide explains how to use it.

• cbeams
    cbeams
    Community Member

Right, I had been considering that as a workaround. I believe she can use a shortened pin code there as well. Will look into it, thanks.

• cbeams
    cbeams
    Community Member

@LauraR, we've set up the Safari iOS extension as suggested, and this approach (in conjunction with enabling 1Password's pin code support) works well for her needs. While it still seems reasonable to me that the Windows Chrome browser extension should (eventually) have feature-parity with the OS X variant, this does effectively stop the pain. Thanks.

• @cbeams - it's so much more than a workaround! It's a great feature. The security settings on her phone should have Lock on Exit set to OFF and timeout to about 10 minutes. This way she will not have to keep unlocking 1Password from Safari on her phone.

• cbeams
    cbeams
    Community Member

Indeed—I've been using the iOS Safari extension myself for a while (sans pin), and it's a great time saver. I'll pass along your suggestions about Lock on Exit, etc as well.

• @cbeams - I'm so glad this helps, thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.