1Password in IE didn't fill in the data right away [Switch 1Password to Open in Current Tab]

Shagbark
Shagbark
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When a request a site through logins under the 1P button in the browser bar, it opens a new tab but never completes the login information. If I go to that tab and repeat the process, one of the two tabs will be completed, usually the first. I have passwords turned off in the browser.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 4.6.0.585
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Have to request a site twice to get login information filled

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Shagbark: I'm afraid I'm not seeing this behaviour here. Can you tell me the browser and extension versions you're using? Thanks in advance! :)

• Shagbark
    Shagbark
    Community Member

I'm on 1P version 4.6.0.585 (12), extension 4.6.0.585 (IE), and OS 6.2.9200. IE is 11.0.10240.16431, update 11.0.22 (It updates automatically). I know 1P works (eventually) because it is filling in passwords that IE does not have.
    Thanks.

• Hi @Shagbark,

I think I know what the issue is. Try this and see if it works better: open Internet Explorer and click on the 1Password icon to go to Settings > Open Login In, select Current tab.

Now, try again, does it help at all?

• Shagbark
    Shagbark
    Community Member

That seems to do it. It even carries through the logon now. Thanks. Now I'll buy it!

• Hi @Shagbark,

That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know. What happened is that IE doesn't allow add-ons to share context between tabs, each tab is self-contained. So, when you open a new tab, 1Password has to re-initialize a new add-on session to work, which is slow and glitchy. Once you switch to the current tab, 1Password can reuse what it has now and it is quicker and more stable.

The slightly good news is this will change completely in Microsoft's new Edge browser. Once they release an update later this year to enable extensions and if we can port 1Password extension to it, it should work much quicker regardless of the new or current tab setting.

This discussion has been closed.