Transfer from 1Password 5 Mac to Windows?

Is it possible to import a backup from 1Password 5 (I'm running it on a Yosemite OSX 10.10) to my desktop windows PC running 8.1?

I've tried to import it, but it doesn't seem to take the same backup format.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

@andrew_vy Do not import. Sync.

• Hi @andrew_vy,

It is not possible to restore from a Mac-created backup into the Windows program but it is possible to create the sync file for the Windows program to read from.

Are you planning to use both computers or just the PC? If both, syncing is the best way to keep both computer in sync.

• mrb42
    mrb42
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT (and @andrew_vy), I've hit the same issue. I'm using both a PC and a Mac (and an Android device).
    I was planning to use wifi sync (I don't want to use dropbox), but found that you cannot sync with more than one desktop.

So is it possible to create the sync file, and manually transfer it from the Mac to the PC?

Thanks in advance!

• MikeT
    edited September 2015

Hi @mrb42,

So is it possible to create the sync file, and manually transfer it from the Mac to the PC?

Yes, it is. Use the Folder Sync in the Mac version of 1Password, it'll store a sync file in the folder of your choosing and you can then manually sync or copy it to your PC and Android device.

• mrb42
    mrb42
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT ... I'm almost there ... I have synced to a USB key following your very helpful link, now I just need to figure out how to import it in Windows ...! I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

• Hi @mrb42,

Copy the folder from USB to your Documents > 1Password directory on the PC, have 1Password open it directly via the File Menu > Open 1Password vault. If you get a welcome tour when you open 1Password on the computer, select the second option to point it to your agilekeychain folder in the Documents > 1Password directory.

• mrb42
    mrb42
    Community Member

That it, great, thanks @MikeT, I'm in.

So to summarise for future users, here's what I did:

To get a 1Password vault from Mac (1Password 5) to PC (1Password 4) using a USB key:

1. Prepare a USB key that is accessible by both Mac and PC (I used MS-DOS FAT format).
    2. Avoid using an encrypted USB key unless you're using the same encryption software on both machines (in my case, I was use Filevault and Bitlocker, which are incompatible).
    3. Create a folder to store your vault in on the USB key.
    4. Follow the instructions on creating a Folder sync on your Mac, as suggested by @MikeT and described here: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-folder.html
    5. When selecting Folder from the Sync options as per instructions, it warned me that I was about to disable syncing. I successfully ignored this as I had not set up a sync yet.
    6. Select the folder in your USB key, and Sync to it.
    7. When done, take your USB key and insert into you Windows PC (kinda obvious!).
    8. Copy the folder from the USB drive to Documents > 1Password as described by @MikeT above.
    9. Start 1Password on your Windows PC.
    10. Open the vault using File Menu > Open 1Password vault and select the directory you just copied over.
    11. Remember your (encrypted) vault is still on the USB, so take care of it!

Hope that helps someone else!

Cheers

• I'm sure it will, thank you so much for helping out our community here. We will of course review this in the future to make sure cross-platform sync is more intuitive. One way is to bring over Folder Sync to Windows as well, so both programs will look at your USB key to sync with.

• mrb42
    mrb42
    Community Member

Thanks for your help @MikeT, and I look forward to seeing the products develop. Hope @andrew_vy is sorted too.

• @mrb42 - Thanks again and on behalf of @MikeT, you are very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.