How to use the one-time password

Hello there
Since 1p With one-time password feature, I do not understand how to use and should be used in what kind of scene, the Internet has no more detailed description, you will be able to explain it in detail? THX.
ps:I saw the Chinese language translation has been completed at the voting stage, how much longer will it will have Chinese language?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @TequilaVic,

I do not understand how to use and should be used in what kind of scene, the Internet has no more detailed description, you will be able to explain it in detail? THX.

One-Time Password (TOTP) is a time-based authentication method to provide a second step to the login process. Instead of just your username and password, you would enter a one-time code that is only useful for 30 seconds before it changes. The code is created by the site and given to you via a secret code that you enter into 1Password and 1Password will convert it to codes that will change every 30 seconds. This does mean that the site has to support two-step verification or TOTP, it is not something 1Password can add to sites.

This ensures that if someone finds out your username and password, they can't log in without knowing the TOTP code as well and if they did, they can only use the code for 30 seconds before it changes.

1. You can find more details about TOTP in 1Password here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/01/26/totp-for-1password-users/
    2. You can also find the database with sites that support TOTP here: https://twofactorauth.org

I saw the Chinese language translation has been completed at the voting stage, how much longer will it will have Chinese language?

Not for a while, while the translation may be done, the program itself requires a complete interface update to support multi-byte characters (Unicode) like Chinese. We do plan to add Chinese but we don't have a timeframe on this, unfortunately.

• TequilaVic
    TequilaVic
    Community Member

@MikeT
    I think I understand, thank you answers patiently. :)

• You're welcome. If you have any more questions, let us know as we'd love to explain more and help you take advantage of this.

This discussion has been closed.