When syning my iPad to my PC, after 2 min. I get a timed out notice.

My iPd and my iPhone are synced, but I am having a problem syncing to my PC. I have 1Password 5 on my IOS devices and 1Password on the Windows device. I believe I have followed the steps in the 1Password user guide several times. Each time I am told the sync has started, but after about two minutes I get a pop up telling me I have timed out. I hope you can help me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios and windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tomtodd272,

Are you using the Wi-Fi sync?

If yes, first thing to do is to make sure your Windows and your iOS devices are sync'ed up to the same time server. They should show the same date and time. If they're off by several seconds, the sync will time out because of this.

If they are sync'ed up, try to disable your PC's firewall temporarily to see if it will sync. If yes, you'll need to configure the firewall to allow 1Password and Apple's bonjour to communicate with your iOS devices. This guide will explain how: https://support.1password.com/configure-windows-firewall-proxy/

• tomtodd272
    tomtodd272
    Community Member

Thank you,@MikeT. I will try your suggestions very soon and let you know my luck. i appreciate your time.

• tomtodd272
    tomtodd272
    Community Member

@MikeT

I connected the iPad and the PC by USB cable and everything synced. Again I thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tomtodd272: To be clear, syncing with iTunes via USB will not sync your 1Password data. But if that's what you were trying to do in the first place, you're all set!

If you're still trying to set up Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Windows, make sure Wi-Fi Sync is set up properly in the first place:

Syncing over Wi-Fi

Next, check your Windows configuration as MikeT suggested:

Configure Windows firewall or proxy server

And you can try using a direct connection to eliminate the network itself as the culprit:

How to create an ad-hoc wireless network

If you're still having trouble, be sure to let me know the exact OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action. Thanks in advance! :)

• tomtodd
    tomtodd
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

@brenty: Thank you so much. I will folow up on your information later today and let you know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Please let me know how it turns out. :chuffed: :+1:

• tomtodd
    tomtodd
    Community Member
    1. Private network inmy Control Panel is not connected.
    2. 1Password is installed, but I have no 1PW or Bonjour listed in inbound rules on my PC.

Operating Windows 8 and 1 assword 4.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @tomtodd,

Sorry to hear about your issue.
    Can you please tell us more about this? I'm not sure I understand how this affects 1Password.

Thanks!

• tomtodd
    tomtodd
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

@AlexHoffman I am not sure either, but in a previous discussion with Brenty when I could not sync my iPad or iPhone to my PC with Wi Fi and was getting a message that said there was no computer available, he suggested I look for blocks in iPassword and Bonjour in my control panel. There are not any either blocked or unblocked. Maybe it is a mute issue as I am seriously considering using Dropbox after reading Dave Teare's newsletter this morning. I can use a computer fairly well, but clueless when it comes to the interior workings.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

@tomtodd: Thanks for clarifying! Let's keep this in a single discussion to avoid confusion. I was wondering why I hadn't heard back from you! ;)

I've merged these into a single place so we can continue troubleshooting your sync issues...but I will also say that Dropbox is a great alternative. I prefer it myself, since it syncs in the background automatically over the internet. And because Dropbox manages moving your data from one device to another, it generally doesn't require configuration apart from installing the app; it does most of the work for you. If that sounds appealing, just check out this guide and let me know if you have any questions:

Syncing with Dropbox

But if you'd prefer Wi-Fi Sync, we'll do what we can to help there too!

Private network inmy Control Panel is not connected.

Can you tell me what you mean by this? Perhaps a screenshot might help. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

1Password is installed, but I have no 1PW or Bonjour listed in inbound rules on my PC.

A good place to start is your Windows Firewall settings:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Go to System and Security
    3. Select Windows Firewall
    4. In the Windows Firewall window, choose "Advanced Settings"
    5. In the left pane, select "Inbound Rules" (you may see several 1Password entries)
    6. Select any with a status of "Block", select "Properties", "Allow the connection", and then click "OK"
    7. Repeat for all 1Password (or Bonjour) "Block" entries

Do you mean that 1Password and Bonjour are not listed there at all? Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

ref: GFL-93245-592

• tomtodd272
    tomtodd272
    Community Member

@brenty I have responded to you via email [AgileBits Support Forum] brenty mentioned you in My cont`rol panel says that my Privare Network is not connected.] Please check that nd see i it helps.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015

Hi tomtodd,

I checked into what's going on here. Here's what happening:

1. You're replying to the forum notifications emails; when we ping you here, the forum sends you a new email. That's why it said brenty mentioned you or MikeT mentioned you. The forum notifications goes to your email addresses you used to register your account.
    2. In this thread, you have two separate forum accounts, tomtodd and tomtodd272.
    3. When we ping you by mentioning tomtodd272, the forum sends an email to the email address you don't want us to reply to. You need to update your forum account (tomtodd272) to use the right email address or stick with the original account, (tomtodd), with the right email address.

I'm glad everything is working now with Dropbox. If we could be of further assistance, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.