Slow launch and unlock times in iOS 9

Options

Comments

• rqc
    rqc
    Community Member
    Options

I had long launch time to get to the touch ID prompt (13-18 seconds) but since 6.0.2 the launch time is now short. However the time to go from Touch ID to 1Password data displaying on the screen is 18-26 seconds. This is on an iPhone 6s with 128GB running 9.0.2. On my iPad Air 2 with 128GB and also running 9.0.2, neither of these delays are occurring. Syncing via Dropbox. I just sent a diagnostic report in also - hope it helps you find the problem.

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

Follow up as well post today's update. Seems completely fixed on iPad Air 2, however, not on my iPhone 6s+ both fully updated iOS, etc. My iPhone opens the app quickly now, yet once I enter my password or use Touch ID it takes 2x as long as prior to open the actual vault. Odd, indeed, but you are moving in the right direction. Look forward to a full fix, unless you have an idea to try immediately. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up, folks! I'm sorry that 6.0.2 hasn't resolved everyone's issues, but I'm glad it's been some help. We're continuing to work on this. Thanks again for your patience! :blush:

• nefuchs
    nefuchs
    Community Member
    Options

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.02, 1Password 6.02

I do neither see a delay opening 1Password, nor a delay entering the master password, nor a delay using Touch ID. I do not recall seeing any delay in the previous version of 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear! I only wish that we were all so lucky. Until then, we'll keep at it!

• Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If you are still experiencing this problem please enable some extra logging before sending in a new diagnostic report:

1. Tap on Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings
    2. Enable the Log Settings for Lock and UI Lock
    3. Kill 1Password and relaunch it.
    4. Send in a fresh diagnostic report.

Thanks so much!

• @batcats Could you send in a diagnostic report after enabling the logs that I mentioned above?

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. It's been a few weeks and I just wanted to get an update. This problem persists and isn't really fixed anywhere as its crept back onto my iPad as well. Any hope with this one?

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @batcats,

Our development team believes they have made some progress on this and hope to have an update available soon.

Thanks.

Ben

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys. Just noticing something else that is troubling. All the apps on my devices that have the option for login with 1Passowrd (i.e. Your key is displayed next to login) are experiencing serious lag as well. I just reset all settings on my iPhone and attempted to log back into Spotify and before I could even click your key there was serious lag similar in time to your app. Then similarly long lag once the option to use your app for login was opened and clicked. I think it is a system wide issue with your login interface. Just my two cents. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@batcats: Interesting. Thanks for bringing that up! Are you using Touch ID, PIN, or Master Password in these cases? It sounds like you're experiencing the delay with both the 1Password app and the extension. Is that correct? Please let me know if you have any additional information! :)

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

That's correct. Seems to be system wide now where credentials from your app are an option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank for confirming. I'm sorry you're still having trouble with this. We've got some updates in the works, so keep an eye out. And thanks again for your patience!

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for today's update 11/12/15 but didn't fix the problem. Let me know what's next. Thanks

• Ben
    Options

6.1.1 was, unfortunately, not intended to improve this situation. It was released as an emergency fix for the fact that some folks received damaged copies of 6.1 from the App Store. We do hope to have this fix included in v6.2.

Thanks.

Ben

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

That's a relief and thanks so much for staying on this and being so responsive. It's a huge help and very refreshing. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not a problem! I'm really sorry that I don't have better news for you at this time, but we're on the case. :sunglasses:

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, yesterday's 1Password update (6.1.2) still hasn't solved the issue for me. After Touch ID unlock, it still takes ~20 seconds (iPhone 6) before I can access 1Password. When not using Touch ID everything is very fast. After switching TouchID back on, it crashes on the next attempt.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Sorry for the confusion. We've been testing some fixes for this and other unlock issues in the betas. Hopefully we'll get positive results and release a new version to everyone before too long. Thanks again for your patience.

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys,
    The problems persists for me as well though have not tested without Touch ID. My thinking is the time it takes me to enter my password is about the same long delay so hence the seeming fix on that end. Please keep us posted on this as I like I'm sure many are heavily dependent on your company for sensitive security info. One side note - the app doesn't seem to crash durning start up as it used to during this issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@batcats: That's a step in the right direction, but there's still a lot of room for improvement there, until we're all merrily using 1Password without any unlock issues. Hopefully we'll have more news for you soon. We're not giving up on this!

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

Any update guys? We are heading into month 4 of this issue and I have to say as people with new devices over the holidays asked me what software I used for password management I was loathe to reccomends 1Password as this has been dogging my ecosystem since September. Hopefully you have a fix in the works and can give some kind of timeline? Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @batcats,

I understand this is a very frustrating issue. We thought that we had found a fix, but unfortuantely folks are still reporting difficulties. We've filed a bug report with Apple because, as far as we're able to tell, we're doing everything correctly and this is still not working as expected. We're hopeful that in the short term we're able to find a way to work around the problem, and in the longer term we can work with Apple on fixing the root cause.

As far as a timeline... as a rule we can't/don't share timelines. Unfortunately it is just entirely too difficult to predict. Even if we have code implemented in a beta release that we think will fix the problem (as happened with this bug) we try not to make any promises. There are all kinds of things that can come up: we can find the code we thought would fix the problem does not (as happened here), it can make things worse and/or cause other issues, updates can be delayed or even declined by Apple's review process... etc.

Additionally, iTunes Connect, which is the system developers use to interact with the App Store, is shut down until Dec 29th. We can't submit any updates until they are back online, at the very earliest:

iTunes Connect Shutdown 2015-What Does It Mean For Developers?

During the iTunes Connect shutdown window though, no new app – or even new updates to existing apps – are accepted.

This has been a frustrating issue for our development team as well, and it remains one of our top priorities to get it fixed just as soon as we possibly can.

I'm sorry there isn't a more concrete answer but hopefully that helps.

Ben

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guy,
    Thanks for the update this week. Seems to have picked up the login speed a lot. One question...apps that offer your app for login credentials (Spotify esp) seems to still have that super lag. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@batcats: Thanks for letting us know it's helped! I'm glad to hear it. :chuffed:

Now, I don't have a Spotify account, but are you encountering this issue with other apps as well? How about Safari, since everyone has access to that. I haven't noticed a difference there myself on my iPad mini 4 or iPhone 6S, but now that you mentioned it I'll pay closer attention. Let me know what you find, especially at which point you're encountering slowness in the process! If you haven't already done so though, be sure to restart your device. I find that almost always helps when iOS apps become unresponsive.

• batcats
    batcats
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah there are a number of apps that now have your little icon at the login screen. All were running with the same lag all along but actually it seems yesterday's (2nd) updated fixed that too. We're these issues address in those updates or am I enjoying that "surprise it's just fixed" for a while then it breaks again

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

For me it improved a lot too. Haven't had crashes anymore, and loading 1Password after TouchID now takes ~6-12 seconds instead of ~20 before. Still not as fast as using a code or using the extension in Safari, but getting close to being acceptable at least.

• @batcats @Arnoud Glad to hear the update improved things. :) We've been working on fixing the speed of things and we'll keep working on it in the future as well. Thanks so much!

• Good afternoon all! I'm glad to hear that you've seen some improvements in the slow launch/unlock times with the latest updates. I've been in touch with Apple about this problem and something you could do to help us track down the issue would be to sync your iOS devices with your computer and then look for any crash logs that begin with coreauthd. Here are some instructions on how to do that:

Crash Logs are usually saved to the device when an application unexpectedly quits. To retrieve the crash log, connect your device to your computer. iTunes should open automatically and copy the crash log to your computer. If iTunes does not copy the crash log, select your device in iTunes and click "Sync."

The crash log can then be found in one of the following locations, depending on which platform you use and what operating system you're using on your host computer:

Note: Crash logs can also sync to the "/Retired/" (Mac), or "\Retired\" (PC) folder one level lower than the paths specified below; Please look in that folder, as well as the paths specified below, for any relevant crash logs whose creation date correlates with the time and date you witnessed the issue.

• Mac OS X:

~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/[Your_Device_Name]/

Note: "~/" actually means /Users/[Your User Name]/Library/Logs/... not the root path /Library/Logs/.

• Windows 8:

C:\Users[Your User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice[Your_Device_Name]\

Note: The AppData folder is hidden by default. Click on the View menu item in a Windows navigation window and check the "Hidden items" checkbox and the AppData folder will appear in the list of folders under C:\Users[Your User Name].

• Windows Vista:

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice[Your_Device_Name]\

Note: The "AppData" folder is hidden by default. Choose Organize > Folder and Search Options the file browser window, then click the View tab and change the "Hidden files and folders" option to "Show hidden files and folders."

• Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice[Your_Device_Name]\

Note: The "Application Data" folder is hidden by default. Choose Tools > Folder Options in the file browser window, then click the View tab and change the "Hidden files and folders" option to "Show hidden files and folders."

If you find any of those crash logs please send them along to mrrooni@agilebits.com. If you do not find any of those crash logs, please let me know that as well.

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni No crash logs for 1Password found in that location. I did find some in the Retired folder, but the last one is from mid-November last year. I still experience the slow login issue.

A weird thing I noticed is that every time after 1Password is updated (via the App Store), the first login with TouchID is blazingly fast. From then on, every next login with TouchID is slow again (even after a force-close).

This discussion has been closed.