Dropbox sync without installing Dropbox?

Options

Are there any plans to include embedded Dropbox support instead of the requirement to have the Dropbox application installed on the PC?
I ask because I currently use a different password manager that has this feature included but the lack of meaningful updates to their app is leading me to an alternative.

The issue I face is this. I use Mac and iOS personally but have a work's laptop and iPhone. I can configure the Mac and iPads to use iCloud sync however the work managed profile on the iPhone limits the use of iCloud Drive so I cannot sync with the works iPhone.
I could switch to Dropbox sync however that would mean I would have to install the Dropbox app on my Macs which I don't have a need to do for anything else. I would also need to do the same with my work laptop but unfortunately, the installation of Dropbox is blocked on our work laptops due to security concerns.
It seems whichever approach I take, I will be unable to sync all my devices with 1password which is frustrating when a competing product can even though I consider that application not as feature rich.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Andy Whiteford,

Well that's a convoluted situation you've gotten yourself into ;)

There is a way to do this and I'm going to lay out the scenario for you. Please tell me if this is feasible:

• Use iCloud Drive to sync the 1Password vault between the Mac and the work PC. That of course requires that you can install and access iCloud Drive on your work PC. We don't officially support syncing an OPVault via iCloud but many users have reported success doing so.
    • Sync your personal iOS devices to your Mac at home via Wi-Fi.
    • Sync your work iPhone to the work PC via Wi-Fi.

It's a bit of leg work but it should work and leave you with your data on all of your devices.

The one thing you shouldn't do, is use your work iPhone or any other iOS device you have to ferry data between your Mac and your work PC. This can lead to data corruption as the devices have to be associated with one Wi-Fi sync server on either OS X or Windows.

Let us know what you think.

• Andy Whiteford
    Andy Whiteford
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Alex. I'm guessing by that response, baked in Dropbox support is not likely to happen?
    Truth be told, I hadn't considered the option of iCloud on the works laptop and that does give me another option but I'm thinking I would be struggling to use Wifi sync at work as our phones are on a different wireless network from our laptops.
    Is it possible to have the Mac sync with iCloud and also have my iPhone sync to one of my Macs via Wifi sync for the same vault? If so, that may be the best approach as I could use iCloud across the board apart from the iPhone which would then sync directly to one of my Macs.

• Dang, in all that speculative writing ;) I forgot to answer your question.
    You're right, integrating Dropbox into 1Password 4 will probably not happen as we have direct file access.

Is it possible to have the Mac sync with iCloud and also have my iPhone sync to one of my Macs via Wifi sync for the same vault? If so, that may be the best approach as I could use iCloud across the board apart from the iPhone which would then sync directly to one of my Macs.

• You have more than one Mac? Ok, sync those via iCloud.
    • Need to sync your personal iOS devices? Sync those via iCloud, too.
    • Want to sync the work iPhone to one of your Macs? Sure, Wi-Fi sync would be the solution here. You just need to activate the Wi-Fi server in the 1Password 5 for den Mac preferences and set the work iPhone up for Wi-Fi sync.

Cheers!

• Andy Whiteford
    Andy Whiteford
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you sir. That would work well enough for my needs but I have an alternative method that is more manageable for me.
    I'll initially set everything up using iCloud between my Macs and iPads. Once done, the Macs will rarely be updating the vault, more just for looking up passwords so I will switch my iOS devices to Dropbox sync which will work with my work issue iPhone and every so often, I will switch my iPad to iCloud sync just to update the Vault there then switch back to Dropbox again.
    This approach means my iOS devices will remain in sync and Macs, while not in perfect sync will receive regular updates to remain largely current. I tested this out last night and it seems to be working fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'll initially set everything up using iCloud between my Macs and iPads. Once done, the Macs will rarely be updating the vault

@Andy Whiteford: Ah! That certainly makes all the difference.

This approach means my iOS devices will remain in sync and Macs, while not in perfect sync will receive regular updates to remain largely current. I tested this out last night and it seems to be working fine.

That should be just find if you're not making changes on the Macs. And it can work even if you are, but switching between sync methods frequently can eventually lead to sync conflicts, so just something to keep in mind if at some point your use changes. Cheers! :)

• Andy Whiteford
    Andy Whiteford
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.