1Password on Work PC

Options

New to 1Password and loving it. I'm using it on my personal mac and iPhone. Wondering if I can use it safely and securely on my PC at work. The PC is only used by me, but others could access it if they wanted to, so it is not totally secure. I'm running a current version of windows on the machine and do most of my work on a remote server, but always keep gmail open in crome on the local machine. I'd like to be able to load the brower extension onto crome.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hey @Peterhanebury! Great question. When you first set up 1Password, you will be asked to secure your vault with a master password that only you know, which will keep anyone else on your computer from accessing your logins and items. Your vault is also encrypted to prevent any tampering with things. In case you want to access these logins elsewhere, you can sync your vault with another device.

• Hi @Peterhanebury,

The PC is only used by me, but others could access it if they wanted to, so it is not totally secure.

Do you mean you leave your computer account unlocked that other people could get into or do you mean other people have their own accounts that they can log into on the same PC?

If everyone has their own account, then it should be okay to use 1Password on the same PC. 1Password keeps your vault file encrypted at all time, so there's no danger of them trying to read anything in clear view without your master password. Even if they found a way to copy your vault, they'd still need to know your vault password to unlock it. Trying to guess would take several centuries assuming you're using a strong password.

but always keep gmail open in crome on the local machine. I'd like to be able to load the brower extension onto crome.

1Password won't be able to protect you against logged in sites, folks can still access your accounts there if you leave the computer unattended or unlocked.

You'd be more secure by using Chrome's private browsing mode and using 1Password extension to log you in easily all the time.

• Peterhanebury
    Peterhanebury
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. I lock this computer, but others have access to the password and have access to this office after hours. I will try Chrome's private browsing mode and adding the extension onto that.

• Hi @Peterhanebury,

If they have the password to unlock your computer account, then you should assume the account is compromised and be careful with that PC. There's nothing that says they won't install keyloggers and advanced malware to grab your master password.

Make sure you use Unlock on Secure Desktop all the time if you plan to keep going with this setup.

• Peterhanebury
    Peterhanebury
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. That sounds like good advice.

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.