Won't upgrade on Win 8.1

Options

Hi. I have iPassword v4.6.0.583 installed on my Windows 8.1 Pro system. For a few months now the 1Password autoupdate fails to update as it tells me it has detected instances of internet explorer an windows explorer running. I have tried several times to install the update after reboot. And I have confirmed neither of those programs are running. But 1Password still detects them.
I am concerned to try uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password in case I can't reinstall which would be a big problem to productivity.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks, Matt

1Password Version: 4.6.0.583
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:windows 8 upgrade

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@matthern: Are you experiencing this problem only with the built-in updater? If so, simply download a copy of the latest version from the AgieBits site and install it that way. And keep in mind that even uninstalling 1Password will not remove your vault, as it is a separate folder entirely.

It could simply be that your copy is damaged, but also 'security' software and certificate validation issues can prevent 1Password from updating successfully. If you're still having trouble, let me know the exact error message you're seeing (a screenshot would be great!), and some more information about your setup that might be relevant (antivirus? corporate machine? firewall or proxy settings?) Thanks in advance! :)

• matthern
    matthern
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty for your quick reply. I have tried your suggestion and experienced the same problem. Before trying, I attempted to disable the security software but discovered that because I am on a corporate computer I am blocked from disabling it or preventing it from loading at start-up. The security software is called Webroot SecureAnywhere Endpoint Protection v9.0.3.37.

One curious element is that the 1password version installed without error on my corporate SurfacePro, which has the same version of Windows, also has the Webroot software running and is on the same network.

Thank you in advance too :-)

• Hi @mattern,

Have you try booting into Safe Mode with Networking to see if 1Password can update itself? This would reduce the amount of programs running on your computer and to confirm it's a third party program causing this issue.

This may be because you have a program with an embedded IE frame running, which could be anything.

Just a theory, try this:

1. Open the main 1Password program and go to the File Menu > Exit.
    2. Open Task Manager and terminate any 1Password related processes such as Agile1pAgent.exe and 1Password.exe
    3. Run the installer you downloaded from our site, does it still think there's something running?
This discussion has been closed.