tried to update 1pass for windows- now it wont let me in with my master PW

Options

tried to update 1pass for windows- now it wont let me in with my master PW have Password 3 -tried to update to 4 bad Key I guess- unistalled 4- have problem

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:tried to update 1pass for windows- now it wont let me in with my master PW

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@patrick_patterson: (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password-not-accepted/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Like a phone number or postal address, if it’s not correct it doesn’t reach who it’s intended for — or in the case of the Master Password, 1Password doesn’t unlock as intended. There is no backdoor. 1Password is as secure as the Master Password you choose, but this also means that unless it is entered correctly even you will not be able to unlock it. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• patrick_patterson
    Options

version 1.09.342

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! My post above applies to any version of 1Password though, so be sure you try the steps in the guide I linked to see if it helps you unlock it.

• patrick_patterson
    Options

I never changed my master password

• patrick_patterson
    Options

that is what I don't understand- did me trying to update screw it up ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't have any way of knowing that, but I also didn't say you had. But regardless, if it isn't entered exactly or the data on your system is damaged you may need to restore from a backup. Again, please try my suggestion above. ;)

• patrick_patterson
    Options

Hate this auto reply crap.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hate this auto reply crap.

@patrick_patterson: What are you talking about? This isn't an auto reply. I am a person responding to your posts, but you don't seem to be reading my first response above. Please do so and get back to me! :fearful:

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @patrick_patterson,

Just to clarify, your 1Password vault file is encrypted in a way that it needs to know the password to unlock itself and it is stored outside of the program files directory. Updating 1Password does not touch that file, it only affects the program files. We haven't seen any cases where an update to 1Password would impact this in a way that users can't get back in.

Is it possible 1Password switched to a different file that has a different password? That has happened in the past where for some updates, it switched to the default vault instead of the one the users were using.

Try this in 1Password, go to the File Menu > Open 1Password Vault and locate the vault that you were using at the time and that might let you back in.

• patrick_patterson
    Options

ok will try that

• patrick_patterson
    Options

How do I have a phone conversation to have you walk me thru some of this mess

• patrick_patterson
    patrick_patterson
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Mike I have this- below can I still upgrade to 4 without having to Pay more money ?

• Hi @patrick_patterson,

Please use this guide to generate a 1Password diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username. We'll also look into your license status as soon as we got your email.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

This discussion has been closed.