Auto backup to server and push out to Dropbox.

Options

We are looking at using this in our corporate environment for our IT team. We would like to have a master backup that is saved to our server and then then pushed out to our users Dropbox accounts so that our devices that we are using will not have to be on the VPN to use the program. Is there a way to do this so that we always have the master safe backup on our server?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @rgiggey,

We would like to have a master backup that is saved to our server and then then pushed out to our users Dropbox accounts so that our devices that we are using will not have to be on the VPN to use the program.

When you say a master backup, do you mean a backup that the users can restore later when need to via Dropbox or do you mean a company vault for all users to open in 1Password all the time?

Who is responsible for maintaining the master backup? You can use a shared Dropbox folder with your users that you can run from the server if you want.

• rgiggey
    rgiggey
    Community Member
    Options

We want to have a master on the server just in case someone goes in and deletes or changes something by accident we have a backup to revert back to. This would be the master for the current updates as myself or my manager would change. We would be the ones responsible for maintaining the master. We want others in our IT team to be able to edit it as needed for new or changed accounts.

• Hi @rgiggey,

1Password backs up your vault daily by default when there are changes made and it will keep 50 backups in its local Backups folder, which you can change to any location you want to use, even to a network share on your server if you want. You can configure many of the Backup settings in the main 1Password program's File Menu > Preferences > Backup, 1Password can back up an unlimited amount of daily backups if you want to have two copies, one local and one on the remote server.

If you have a tool that can monitor the backups folder, you can use it to copy every new backups onto the server for storage of all backups for that specific master vault. This will allow you to restore to any backup to undo any changes made to the vault.

For your users, you could store the active vault folder in the shared Dropbox folder and when need to, just restore the backup into the same Dropbox folder and 1Password should properly update it on all connected computers.

• rgiggey
    rgiggey
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for this information I will pass it onto my manager.

• You're welcome. We'll be here if you and your team have any further questions.

• rgiggey
    rgiggey
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to sync up 1password for a group of people to have access to it. We want it setup so that when one person makes changes that all the people automatically have the changes. Is this possible?

• Hi @rgiggey,

Not without a lot of effort. That group of users would have total access to the group's vault, there isn't a way to prevent everyone but one user from writing changes to the vault. 1Password would also prompt an error saying the vault is the read-only and it cannot write to it, so setting the folder as read-only isn't an option.

You could use your own tool to prevent syncing everyone's vault back to the server and force the tool to reset the vault back to the original copy on the server at the end of the day but this can be fragile to maintain.

However, It will be possible in our upcoming 1Password for Teams service that seems like it will be a better fit for you. We hope to have the Windows support there as soon as possible and once it is available, I'd suggest signing up to try it. In 1Password for Teams, you can set permissions per user and set it to read-only for all users but one.

• rgiggey
    rgiggey
    Community Member
    Options

That actually sounds like a great tool and option. How soon will that be available and is there going to be a cost difference since we have already bought licensing?

• Hi @rgiggey,

We do not have a timeframe or pricing details yet, it is still early in the game. We're opening up a public beta right now to get feedback on what the market wants from this service and your feedback is already included as well, we will keep improving the permission model.

This will be a subscription model but we will look at doing something for the current customers.

For now, do you still want to figure out a way to do this "one master user for the group vault" or leave it as it is for now?

• rgiggey
    rgiggey
    Community Member
    Options

I would still like to figure this out till the new team solution comes out. What is our best option for a team to have all the same passwords and if someone adds a new one to the list for everyone else to get that change?

• Hi @rgiggey,

It's the same option that I mentioned earlier, share the same 1Password folder with everyone in the Dropbox folder. Dropbox will keep that folder in sync with everyone and changes will show up to all instantly.

• rgiggey
    rgiggey
    Community Member
    Options

I have that shared out to someone for testing but its only the backup file. Do I need to share them the full?

• Hi @rgiggey,

No, there are two separate things you have to do for two separate 1Password folders based on what you're asking for:

1. Backups: In the Documents > Backups, you can use your own tools to sync or copy the folder for each user to your network drive to back them up. You can also configure 1Password to back up to your network if you don't want to use your own tool. We do recommend each user to have their own folder to backup to, rather than one central backup for everyone.
    2. The 1Password data folder, 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault, this is the active 1Password data folder that 1Password is reading and writing to in real time, not the backup. This is the folder you put into its own folder in Dropbox directory, you then invite your group to that folder and Dropbox will share/sync that folder to everyone on that list. When changes are made, it goes into this folder and Dropbox sync it to everyone else.

When changes are made, 1Password on each PC will compress the 1Password.agilekeychain into a backup for that day and save it to the Documents > Backups folder or the network drive if it is set to do that.

Does that help?

• rgiggey
    rgiggey
    Community Member
    Options

I will give this a try. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you for your assistance. Look forward to the 1Password team to come out.

• You're welcome and keep us informed of your progress. We're here any time to help.

This discussion has been closed.