Help! cannot unlock my 1Password!

Options
ann3743
ann3743
Community Member

I purchased 1 password several years ago and it has been installed on my Macbook Pro and mini pad. I just got a new computer, Macbook, and 1Password said there was an updated version. I clicked that and it was installed and then it said my trial is over and that I owe 49$. I do not want to pay again! Please help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Help! cannot unlock my 1Password!

Comments

• ann3743
    ann3743
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased 1Password several years ago, installed it on my MacBook Pro and mini Pad. Now I replaced the MacBook Pro with a new MacBook and 1Password came up with install updates. I did this and a sign came up saying Trial is over and to pay 49$. Now, there is a question mark over my 1Password icon and it is locked on my MacBook. I can still open it on my mini Pad. I do not want to pay another $49.00. Please help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Help! cannot unlock my 1Password!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ann3743,

Sorry for the confusion here! If you last purchased 1Password several years ago, you most likely have a license for an older version, perhaps 1Password 3 for Mac. That license will never expire for the version it applies to. So a 1Password 3 license key can always be used on 1Password 3. However, 1Password 4 for Mac was a paid upgrade from 3, and 1Password 5 was a free upgrade from 4.

If you do not want to pay again, you're welcome to continue using 1Password 3 (if indeed that is the version you own a license for), which you can download from the Legacy section at the bottom of our Downloads page.

If you would like to upgrade to version 5 for less than full price, your old license key can be entered in our upgrade store for a very generous discount.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. Here's a bit more information on 1Password licenses, if you'd like to read more. :)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @ann3743,

I've merged your two related posts together into one thread here. In reading your second post, though, I realized there was something I forgot to mention in my earlier post, regarding the Trial Expired state.

The "Trial Expired" message only comes up if you're using the version of 1Password installed from our website. But if you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store, you should install the app from there (it should be listed in the Purchases tab) because that purchase will be tied to your Apple ID.

And just to be clear, even when the trial period has expired, the 1Password app will continue working and you can still unlock it with your Master Password; it will never hold your logins ransom. That would be awful! I mention this because you said "it is locked on my MacBook" so I want to make sure you're not saying that you can't unlock your vault. If that's the case, please check over this article.

Let us know if you have any further questions about this. We're happy to help!

• ann3743
    ann3743
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Vee! Thank you for your prompt response. Two problems....
    1. On my mini pad, it shows that I purchased 1Password, Version 6.0.1 from the Apple app store.
    2. On my new MacBook, it says that somehow I now have downloaded (this morning I was clicking thinking it was a free upgrade) 1 Password 4. And it says "Trial Expired, Click here to buy" I don't need an upgrade, as I mentioned, but I don't know how to get back to the original version.
    When I click on the Apple Store purchases on this new computer, it does not show that I purchased my 1Password, but it does on my mini pad. I don't understand.

Thank you so much for your assistance. Ann

• ann3743
    ann3743
    Community Member
    Options

PS... I don't know where or what my license key is....

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @ann3743,

Sorry for the confusion here! It sounds like if you've purchased 1Password at all, it was probably only on iOS. 1Password is licensed per person and per platform, meaning that a purchase on iOS is not the same as 1Password for Mac or Windows; they're all sold separately.

More information about our approach to software licensing can be found here:

What licenses do I need to use 1Password on all my devices?

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion, and I do hope this clears it up.

• ann3743
    ann3743
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Vee... If I purchased it only for the iOS, then why did it end up also on my MacBook Pro? How did it get transferred? I used it on both. So are you saying that I need now to spend another $49 to get it on my new Macbook? Everything was fine on my new Macbook (the icon was there) until this morning when I evidently clicked on the upgrade and since then it is locked. Are you saying that for each Mac item I buy, the 1Password will not transfer? I still am confused and am sorry to trouble you, but I need to get this straightened out. Thank you.... Ann

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ann3743,

You may have been using 1Password 4 for Mac for free because of a bug in the software that didn't prompt users to add a license when the 30-day trial period was over. That bug has been fixed in version 5. It is free to download in Trial Mode from our website, but after 30 days it requires a license file to continue working unrestricted. If you have not purchased 1Password for Mac previously, then yes, this will require a new purchase. But once you have a license for 1Password 5 for Mac, you can use it on all your Mac computers.

You've said a couple times now that "it is locked," so I want to ask again, are you locked out of your 1Password vault? Are you unable to access your saved logins with your Master Password? If so, that is not related to the license at all so that would be a different issue for us to troubleshoot.

• ann3743
    ann3743
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Vee! If I had known there was a different license for different "platforms" I certainly would not have purchased the 1Password for my minipad. Oh well, it is what it is and so I guess I have to buy another license for my computer.
    It is not locked on my minipad but it is on my computer (which I now understand because I do not have the right license). The icon on my dashboard at bottom of comupter has a big question mark in it and can not be opened, but theone at the top of the screen can. That's where it says the trial is over and I must pay.
    I will do this through Apple store so I have a record of purchases rather than through the Agile website. If I buy it through Apple, will the new one connect to my existing 1Password? I don't want to start all over with adding passwords since I have about 80 or so. If they do not connect, then I will buy it through Agile website. I'm sorry I don't know all the correct terminology to explain this, but hopefully it is clear.
    Thank you for your help. Ann

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ann3743,

If I had known there was a different license for different "platforms" I certainly would not have purchased the 1Password for my minipad.

You may be able to request a refund from the iOS App Store, but that's not something we can do for you because it's not our store.

The icon on my dashboard at bottom of comupter has a big question mark in it and can not be opened, but theone at the top of the screen can.

The 1Password icon in the Dock at the bottom of your screen is a shortcut that's there for quick access. The question mark means the shortcut doesn't know how to find the app anymore. You can fix this by dragging the 1Password icon out of the Dock until the word "remove" appears above it, then let go. Then drag the icon from the top of the screen into the Dock to create a new shortcut.

I will do this through Apple store so I have a record of purchases rather than through the Agile website.

You're welcome to buy it from the Mac App Store if you'd prefer, but we do send a receipt and license information by email immediately following all purchases from our AgileBits Store, as well as on demand through our website. Here is a quick comparison that may also help you decide where to buy:

Should I buy 1Password from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store?

If I buy it through Apple, will the new one connect to my existing 1Password?

Yes, you have a few options to sync your 1Password data between devices. If you buy through the Mac App Store, you'll be able to use iCloud sync. Dropbox, Wi-Fi and Folder sync are available no matter where you buy 1Password from.

• ann3743
    ann3743
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Vee, for all of your assistance. I will go ahead and get it from Agilebits since it doesn't make any difference. And thank you so much for your patience in explaining all of this. Ann

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @ann3743! Very happy to help. Thanks for choosing 1Password! :)

This discussion has been closed.