Apple TV and 1Password sign-in difficulties

Options
gayemacy
gayemacy
Community Member

We have AppleTV and I'm logged in as User. Each new session, Apple TV/iTunes requires my Apple password. Typing it using the reveal code and my iPhone is tedious. How do I connect the Apple TV/iTunes with 1Password so I don't have to sign in every time we turn it on?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Apple TV and 1Password

Comments

• Jacob
    edited September 2015
    Options

@gayemacy At the moment there isn't a 1Password app for Apple TV. There is no platform for the developers to create it on. Even with the new Apple TV, there isn't a clipboard to store a password should an app exist.

The only way I can think of to use 1Password with your Apple TV would be to paste your password in the Apple Remote app on iOS from your 1Password app. Since the Remote app allows you to use an iOS keyboard to enter text this is theoretically a possibility. I don't know for sure though as I have not been able to test it — I'm waiting for the new Apple TV to release before I purchase one.

EDIT

Okay, this perplexed me. I had to run to a friend's house and use their Apple TV. It does indeed work! So, if you set up your Apple TV with Home Sharing and connect your iOS device's Remote app as well, you will be able to use your iOS keyboard to type your password into a text field on the device. So, all you have to do is copy the password from the 1Password app on iOS and paste it into this field (the field does indeed allow pasting).

That's actually a rather easy solution to things. :) If you have a complex password and don't want to go through all those annoying clicks on the aluminum Apple Remote, just download the Remote app, set it up, and you're set! Hope this helps. Here's a screenshot:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The only way I can think of to use 1Password with your Apple TV would be to paste your password in the Apple Remote app on iOS from your 1Password app.

@penderworth: Wow. Awesome idea! I'll admit I forget that Remote app even exists sometimes, since it still isn't particularly pleasant to use...but that's certainly a great use for it! :chuffed:

My own suggestion is to take advantage of the new Wordlist option in the 1Password for iOS password generator to create new passwords for things you frequently need to enter on set top boxes or share with humans, such as answers to security questions, Wi-Fi passwords, or certain logins whose passwords you do need to be able to memorize. Cheers! :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

@gayemacy
    @brenty

The is one other option very similar to what @penderworth mentioned.

Use an app called 1Keyboard (not affiliated with 1Password ) It allows you to control the AppleTV from your Mac or other device and you can paste in passwords from the Mac. Look in its setting for the special keyboard shortcuts to use. Its fairly straight forward http://www.eyalw.com/1keyboard I use it as a back up for when the AppleTV remote gets lost in the couch or the kids run off with it to the other side of the house. I love it for typing searches etc rather than the standard remote. What happens is it turns the Mac into a Bluetooth keyboard, you can use it on multiple devices also.

I have one, 1Password tag assigned as "new install" and its included in that tag set for those rebuilds from scratch. Ill admit I don't use it as much as I should, but when I need it, its there for me.

I am not affiliated with the developer, just an avid (sometime) user. :chuffed: It is a paid app but for me it has been more than worth the money I spent.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Wow! Thanks Penderworth! Awesome work! You get an A+ for innovating and bonus points for dedicated research using friends! ⭐️

Thightower, you must be quite tall ; )
    Thanks for your idea, as well. Sounds like a good option to try as well. Brenty, thanks for commenting. I'm doing much better with 1Password both on Mac and iOS. Now if only I could get the typing–with–the–thumbs thing down... must be an app for that

• I'm glad the guys were able to help you here, that's why we love our community here, always ready to help out.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Love it! It's a great app, once I got help figuring out the set up on iPhone and on iMac!
    Thanks all!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of the team, you're welcome @gayemacy! Take care. :)

This discussion has been closed.