Can't update software because it says "error occurred while extracting archives"

Options
businessaccounts
businessaccounts
Community Member

Trying to figure out how to get data from old Mac onto new one, but want to update 1Password software on both Macs first. When I try to install update on either Mac, it says "An error occurred while extracting the archives. Please try again." I've retried several times, but no luck. Can you help? I'm running 1Password Version 3.8.20 (build 31499) on both computers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't update software because it says "error occurred while extracting archives"

Comments

• Hey @businessaccounts. I would recommend giving this thread a read and trying the suggestions made there. Let me know if that helps!

• businessaccounts
    businessaccounts
    Community Member
    Options

I found the thread a wee bit confusing, as it suggests downloading 1Password3 from the website and says to overwrite the old one, but no details on how to do that. Mention was also made of 1Password versions 4 and 5, so wondering why I would only be prompted to update to version 3?

• businessaccounts
    businessaccounts
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. Old Mac is running 10.9.5, and the new Mac, 10.10.5

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @businessaccounts,

1Password 4 was a complete rewrite so it was kept separate from 1Password 3 at every point which included where they look for updates. So as long as you were running 1Password 3.8.22 then when 1Password 3 asked if there were updates it was told it was running latest version. Given 1Password 4 was a paid upgrade over 1Password 3 it doesn't seem like such an odd decision as it means people weren't being bugged over an update that would require a new licence. Who knows, maybe we were too softly softly with our approach.

So you can run newer versions of 1Password for Mac but they would require a new licence. You can use your existing licence key to obtain a discounted price at Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners and a single 1Password 5 licence would cover you to run 1Password 5 on your Yosemite machine and 1Password 4 on your Mavericks machine.

You don't have to but we'd hope that the improvements and bug fixes we've made in 1Password 4 and 5 might be tempting :smile:

Let's get 1Password 3 running first though as you can make this decision afterwards. 1Password is a self contained application with your vault stored in 1Password's support folder. That means moving the 1Password application to the Trash doesn't touch your vault. It's why for certain problems (bad updates) the following steps are what we recommend.

1. Drag the 1Password application from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash. Please don't use an app cleaner.
    2. Reboot your Mac.
    3. Download 1Password 3 again from our AgileBits Download page, where you can find 1Password 3 in the Legacy section. Move the new copy from your Downloads folder to /Applications/.

Does that help at all? we can discuss the newer versions of 1Password once you've regained access to your vault.

• businessaccounts
    businessaccounts
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks, I'll try your suggestion.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Please do keep us updated :smile:

This discussion has been closed.