What do I do when away from any of my devices?

Options
doubled
doubled
Community Member

I am interested in using 1password, but I have a question ... I think I understand how it all works as long as I remain in the ecosystem of all my synched devices, but what if I need to access my internet banking or other secure log in from someone else's computer, or even while I'm at the bank on one of their customer computers, or at an internet cafe, and I am asked for my very secure and almost impossible to remember password generated by 1password? Without 1password on that device would I not then be stuck and unable to gain access? I realise in reality that would be rare, I would almost always have my phone in my pocket, etc., but there would be times that wouldn't be the case - Am I then stuck. It may be an ignorant question, apologies if it is, and if so, please enlighten me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you use Dropbox sync, this includes 1Password Anywhere, which solves your problem. See https://support.1password.com/1passwordanywhere/ for details of the process.

Note that this does mean that 1PW needs more than one password! You will also need to remember your Dropbox password. I use Diceware to get a memorable but secure password for this (and also for the third password I need, for my Apple ID).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doubled,

Looks like danco has already given you a great answer here! If you don't have access to any of your own devices that have 1Password installed, 1PasswordAnywhere can definitely come in handy.

However, I do want to add that there is currently an issue trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere directly from the Dropbox website on Chrome and Firefox. I don't have much information about that yet, but you can read some more about it in this discussion in our Lounge forum.

If you have any questions about that, please let us know. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.