Purchased 1Password

Options
garyhead
garyhead
Community Member

Do I need to buy ANOTHER copy of 1Password from the Apple Store to have it sync with iCloud? That doesn't seem fair. My wife did the same thing. She also needs to buy another copy too??

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 (532001) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/sync-icloud, kb:icloud-faq, kb:icloud-requires-mac-app-store

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Unless you bought your license from AgileBits within the last 30 days, if iCloud is important enough to you to justify the expense, you would need to buy a license from the Mac App Store. You wouldn't need two separate purchases though. The OS X application is eligible for Family Sharing. If you set that up and you and your wife are in the same family group, you can share one license.

If by chance you did make your purchase within the 30 day refund window, AgileBits will refund your money and you can then buy from Apple.

I agree that this doesn't sound fair, but since Apple decided to preclude access to the required protocols for syncing by iCloud to any apps they don't sell themselves, and since they provide no way for developers to transfer licenses to the Mac App Store, there isn't anything else that AgileBits can do, unless Apple eventually changes those policies.

• garyhead
    garyhead
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick response. My wife's iPhone was stolen in Barcelona last week. Even though there was a screen lock on the phone the thief was able to somehow bypass it and make phone calls and send text messages from the phone. Since 1Password was on the phone I'm assuming the thief could also somehow bypass the 1Password password. No point in changing our passwords and syncing to Dropbox if the thief might have access to Dropbox on the phone by now. We changed the password for iCloud (Apple ID) and if we now change important passwords and start syncing to iCloud rather than Dropbox (and then delete the iPassword database from Dropbox) things might be more secure. We are probably being paranoid and overthinking this but we would like to believe we have done all we could to keep our information safe. We did notify AT&T and activated Find My Phone wipe.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

If you have a strong master password, it is highly unlikely that a thief could ever gain access to your 1Password data. Maybe reading this and some of the links it contains will reassure you: Is it safe to sync my data over the cloud?

Personally, I would be confident enough of the protection of my own data that I wouldn't be worried if the database were posted in a public forum. (I won't do that, but that is how safe I feel about others breaking in to it.)

• garyhead
    garyhead
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you again. I feel better about the situation.

• garyhead
    garyhead
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased a new version of 1Password from the Apple store and installed it on my iMac and am now syncing my 1Password with my iMac, iPhone, and iPad via iCloud. So far, so good. My wife and I are both in the same family group but when I go to the Apple Store on her MacBook Pro and navigate to 1Password it only gives me the option to buy another version. What am I missing here? It seems that it should say "Download" since we would be sharing one family 1Password license.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garyhead,

I'm so glad to see hawkmoth was able to give you the information and reassurance you needed here!

I'm just popping in to let you know the AgileBits team is here for you as well, in case there's anything else we can help you with. Thanks for being a 1Password customer! :)

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @garyhead,

If you've set up Family Sharing between your two Apple IDs then you're quite right, you shouldn't need to purchase another licence. I think the best way of looking at it is there is potential to streamline how it works. I believe this page, OS X Yosemite: Share purchases with your family will help as the trick is you each retain your own collections of purchases but you can browse and download what another person has purchased. At a guess a reasonable analogy would be if you and your wife kept separate vinyl or CD collections but with the understanding that you could both pick and choose from either collection. You assumed (quite reasonably) that Family Sharing resulted in a single collection where everything was visible.

I suppose their system doesn't seem quite as odd when you discover that people can be removed from a family. So they probably went down this route to make it clear who purchased what to reduce confusion if a family member is removed or if you stop family sharing completely. Apple have this page, OS X Yosemite: Manage the family you organized that talks a bit more about that.

I hope that's useful and please do let us know if you're still fighting the Mac App Store to install 1Password for Mac on your wife's Mac.

• garyhead
    garyhead
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both for your help and concern. I reconfigured the Apple Family Share settings and was able to download the a copy of 1Password to her MacBook Pro. When I uninstalled the old version (following the instructions on the AgileBits website) and installed the new version everything worked fine. Now everything is synced to iCloud rather than to Dropbox. I'm not sure that the move was really necessary, but I feel better now.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garyhead,

Sorry I missed your previous comment; we were typing at the same time! Anyway, I'm glad you've got it all up and running now. iCloud or Dropbox sync is just a personal preference thing, so whatever works for you is great! :)

This discussion has been closed.