I'm trying to update 1password on my macbook pro but consistently get an error message

Options
rjbayles
rjbayles
Community Member

Error message: "Update Error An error occurred in retrieving update information; are you connected to the internet? Please try again later." This message comes when I select the "check for updates" item in the 1Password menu. I downloaded update zip file online and tried to run it, but it doesn't do anything other than duplicate itself in the finder when I double click on it. What to do?

1Password Version: 2.5.3
Extension Version: unknown
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: unknown - want to use iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:trouble updating 1password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rjbayles,

I'm sorry you're having trouble checking for updates!

You said that you're using version 2.5.3. Is that correct, or did you perhaps mean version 5.3.2 (which is the latest)? I only ask because they're the same numbers in a different order, so I thought it might have been a typo. But if you do have version 2.5.3 installed, that's an old version which was released almost 8 years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had trouble checking for updates.

You said that you downloaded a zip file online. What is the name of the file you downloaded, and where did you download it? Our current download site has links to download versions 5, 4, and 3 of 1Password for Mac. If you downloaded a zip file for one of those versions, you should definitely be able to unzip it by double-clicking on it. What is the name of the file that is created when you double-click it?

If you can give us some more details about all that, we should have a better idea of how to help you with that. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.