Can 1Password 5 import software licenses from Appshelf?

Options
mattt
mattt
Community Member

I'd like to import software license data from Appshelf to 1Password 5. The legacy article referring to Import Assistant doesn't seem to apply anymore. Thanks!

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:appshelf

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @mattt,

Do you know if Appeshelf can export its data? And if so, what file format is it exporting as?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattt,

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Appshelf, but in case it helps, you can find our latest information about importing data from other apps here: Import data from other applications

MrC might be able to help you out with this, as he specializes in this sort of thing, and has written data converters that help import data from many different password managers. Those converters are mentioned in the above article, but you can also find more information about them in this thread: MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility

Please let us know if you need help with that! :)

• mattt
    mattt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Drew and MrC:

Appshelf can export its data as a CSV file. I tried using 1Password 5's import feature to import it. I was expecting a dialog box or wizard or something to identify the file as licenses, a few steps to properly align data fields, etc. What 1Password did was instantly import the file and dump everything into logins. So this feature needs a lot of work. (The ability to sort logins by the date created was much appreciated at this point, I will say.)

I'd like to use 1Password to keep track of all of this stuff since the feature is there, but Appshelf is certainly good enough at the job to not make it worth reentering the data for over 100 licenses by hand.

MrC's utility looks like a great solution for moving in logins and passwords, but I don't see it helping with license data yet.

Thanks for the responses!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @mattt,

You need to select Comma Delimited Text in the import dialog, and select the record type you want, such as Software License.

See Importing your data and Advanced import: creating CSV files to see how to handle the CSV.

See if that works for you, and if you are still having trouble, I'll look into a converter for Appshelf.

• mattt
    mattt
    Community Member
    Options

Wow. I have no idea how I didn't see that "Import as" option before. I think it's because I rushed through it too fast. Clicked import, changed to CSV, looked up to list and double clicked on file. Just didn't notice it. Maybe throw that Import as bit in as a dialog box after choosing the file to force the issue?

Licenses came in just fine with the proper selection there. However, I now notice something Appshelf (maybe accidentally) does that's helpful: Where 1Password loads in every app icon it can find right away for each license, Appshelf only does so for apps that are actually currently installed on the machine. I find this visual feedback informative and preferable.

Thanks again!

• mattt
    mattt
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, spoke way too soon. I should have looked more carefully at he imported licenses. Two problems:

(1) All the Publisher website fields are populated with date of purchase from the Appshelf record.

(2) Appshelf exported 92 licenses, but 1Password only recognized and stored 34.

So, yeah, still gonna have to stick with Appshelf for now for license management.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattt,

(1) All the Publisher website fields are populated with date of purchase from the Appshelf record.

I suspect this might simply be a difference in the way Appshelf creates the CSV file vs. how 1Password reads it. Many password managers can export their data to a CSV file, but they don't all necessarily do so the exact same way. 1Password makes its best guess about which data goes in which fields, but it's difficult to get that right all of the time. (MrC might have a bit more insight into this, as he knows more about CSV files than I do.)

(2) Appshelf exported 92 licenses, but 1Password only recognized and stored 34.

That's definitely strange! If you open the CSV file in another app (spreadsheet or text), can you confirm the licenses that are missing from 1Password are there in the CSV file?

It's possible @MrC will be able to help you out with all this, as he does an amazing job with his converters.

• mattt
    mattt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Drew.

I opened the CSV file in TextWrangler and found "broken lines" for 3 licenses. That is, something about the record caused a new line to be placed in the entry. One license near the end with a ridiculously long (what I'm going to guess is its) security hash had 5 line breaks on its own. I deleted all of those breaks so every license had its own line and tried importing again. This time all 92 were recognized. Some fields still end up in odd places, and every website field is populated with the purchase date data, but they all loaded.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi @mattt,

There is nothing wrong with a CSV cell spanning multiple lines. But it has to be properly quoted. Does the cell's value have Double Quotes at the start and end? Are there any double-quotes within the entry, and if so, are those doubled up? Example:

"This is a

multi-line entry with a single double-quote, doubled up ""

Done"

Also, you must make sure to place the fields in the order that 1Password expects them, for Software License categories.

• mattt
    mattt
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,

A cursory look at the file indicates double quotes are properly closed. The only change I made from the file that imported as 34 records to the one that correctly imported as 92 records was deleting the line breaks. I went back and tried again to be sure--no other characters are deleted or inserted. Maybe the line break contains what are interpreted as other characters that TextWrangler can't or won't display?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@mattt,

I reported a problem with 1Password exporting CSV, wrt. quoting. I wonder if the quoting issue you're seeing here with importing is related.

• mattt
    mattt
    Community Member
    Options

Good question! There does seem to be some parallels in the behavior.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC and @mattt,

I'd say your analysis is pretty much on the button here. When MrC reported the issue @sjk did link it to an issue with importing.

I apologise for the additional road bumps during your importing and I've linked this thread to the report in the hope that it helps.

ref: OPM-2302

• mattt
    mattt
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables: Cool, thanks. Also, that's one of my favorite XKCDs. :+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

He's done some classics so my list of favourites is rather long. Still, not sanitising your database input will always make me laugh :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.