I have a few questions, mostly about WiFi Sync

I have a few questions:
Background: there is NO WAY I will put my password file on a cloud service so I want to use WiFi sync. The last time I looked at 1password, WiFi sync was not available for Android and there huge differences between the Windows and Mac platform in that Windows could only WiFi sync one vault over WiFi. To sync multiple vaults, you had to use Dropbox. Also, I need to sync between multiple iOS devices (i.e. iPhone, iPad) 2 windows machines and one Android phone.

1) Does the latest windows version now work the same as the Mac version?
2) With the Windows Version, can I now sync multiple vaults over WiFi?
3) Can Android Devices sync multiple vaults over WiFi?
4) Can iOS devices sync multiple vaults over WiFi?
5) Is there any way to WiFi sync between 2 Windows instances? If not, why?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: WiFi sync
Referrer: kb:sync-options, ug:android/wifi, kb:bundle-license, kb:share-vault

Comments

• Hi @LIDude,

Does the latest windows version now work the same as the Mac version?

No, it has the same limitation of one vault and you have to use the opvault format to sync attachments. We don't have a timeframe on when this will change but it is not going to be a quick fix.

With the Windows Version, can I now sync multiple vaults over WiFi?

You're limited to one vault only.

Can Android Devices sync multiple vaults over WiFi?

Not at the moment.

Can iOS devices sync multiple vaults over WiFi?

Only if you're syncing the primary vault with the Mac app, you can't selectively add a new vault with Wi-Fi. In other words, you have to sync the primary vault you have in the Mac app and select which vaults you want to sync along with the primary vault. The Mac app basically "combines" them into one vault to push to the iOS app. In the iOS app, the primary vault and other vaults you selected in the Mac app will show up but if you want to add more vaults than what Mac app has, you can only use Dropbox.

Is there any way to WiFi sync between 2 Windows instances? If not, why?

No, you can only pair one PC to multiple mobile devices but you cannot sync between computers. That will require a major change to all desktop apps and we don't have a timeframe on when that'll happen.

It has to do with client/server relationship logic, being a server makes it possible to determine the clients and push/pull data but a PC being a client/sever at a same time makes it more complex to support and can result into problems.

You can however sync your 1Password vault files between computers using your own local sync tool while using Wi-Fi sync between your Mac and iOS devices. This makes it more complex to use and unfortunately, right now, Dropbox is the only solution we have that simplifies everything into an automatic sync solution for 1Password. Note that your 1Password data is encrypted at rest, no decrypted credentials is ever stored in clear text when using any cloud sync or even without any sync.

This discussion has been closed.