1Password Safari Ext Ver: 4.4.3 gone every first sign in or when it expires due to non activity

glow259
glow259
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac
  1. Any solution to keep this only extension intact? This is a 3rd party app even if purchased thru Apple online and is not covered by Applecare tech support. Just upgraded to Safari version 9.0 (10601.1.56.2) too.

2. Is 1Password compatible with the new OS X El Capitan?

Thank you!!

glow259

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glow259,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with the 1Password extension in Safari! Can you please give us a few more details about exactly what happens? Do you mean it stops working, or it disappears, or something else? When the problem happens, and if you go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, is the 1Password extension still listed there, and is it enabled? Do you get any error messages? If so, what do they say?

If you haven't already done so, you can try reinstalling the 1Password extension from our extension download site.

Is 1Password compatible with the new OS X El Capitan?

It sure is! Just make sure you're using the latest update for 1Password 5. If you're using the AgileBits Store version, the latest stable release is 5.3.2. If you're using the Mac App Store version, it's 5.3.

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Thank you @Drew_AG . . . This screenshot collage I created should give you the before (left) and after it is installed (right). A routine I need to do each time I log in to use Safari, but no problem with google chrome. I try not to think what OS X El Capitan has in store for me when I upgrade later.

I just realized this forum appears to have a photo size limitation. The original is larger and readable. I hope it is sharp enough for you to read. Doing a mac "command" plus " + " keys magnifies/enlarge the page but not the photo, oh well. . .

:)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glow259,

Thanks so much for the screenshot and the additional details! So, it sounds like the 1Password extension is missing (no longer installed) each time you open Safari. We've seen this before, and it actually seems to be caused by a problem with Safari's extension preferences. The following steps should solve that:

Wiping Safari's extensions

To start, make sure Safari is closed. Then continue with these steps:

Preference plist

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G (Shift+Command+G) to open a Go to the folder prompt.
    2. Enter (or copy/paste) the following location: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist
    3. Click the Go button, then drag the highlighted file to the Trash.

Extension files

1. Like above, open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder prompt.
    2. Enter (or copy/paste) the following location: ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/
    3. Click the Go button, then drag the highlighted folder to the Trash.

Safari Extensions List

1. Open the Keychain Access app (you can find it in /Applications/Utilities/).
    2. In the Search field, type the word safari.
    3. In the search results, right-click on Safari Extensions List and select Delete "Safari Extensions List".
    4. Reboot your Mac.

After your Mac restarts, you'll need to reinstall the 1Password extension again (it looks like that's the only one you normally have in Safari, but if you had other extensions, you'd need to reinstall those, too). This time, the 1Password extension should remain installed. Please let us know how that goes for you and if you have any questions about that. Thanks!

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member

Re "This time, the 1Password extension should remain installed. Please let us know how that goes for you and if you have any questions about that. Thanks! "

Hi @Drew_AG . . . Thank you for the tutorial, I did it accordingly, but unfortunately it did not get resolved. I spoke with our
    apple care tech support and nothing. . . but was told we have another route to solve my issue with passwords . . . and that is to encrypt my hard disc and Time machine where a 2nd password is needed for access besides the first at boot up to my desktop. It will also eliminate future encryption of folders requiring passwords for sensitive documents, etc. I have not acquired safari extensions right from the start and did not have an idea it did not save them. Unfortunately the same is happening in my new Safari Version 9.0 (10601.1.56.2) upgraded a few days ago.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glow259,

I'm sorry to hear that didn't solve the problem. After following all those steps, is the issue still that you can install the 1Password extension but it's missing the next time you open Safari? Have you tried installing any other extensions in Safari, and if so, does the same thing happen with those extensions as well?

It sounds like you contacted Apple for help with this, and I'm surprised to hear they weren't able to help solve the problem with Safari extensions. I'm not sure I understand why their workaround would be to encrypt your hard drive - it's a good idea to do that in general, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with missing extensions in Safari. Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant?

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Thank you @Drew_AG . . .

Yes, I did contact Apple care because I purchased 1Password thru their Apple Store not your website. I learned about it from a Youtube Mac lecturer David Cox.
    Google chrome is messed up right now when it comes to chrome saved password feature.

Sometime ago, chrome used to ask permission to access my apple keychain for the sites I access via chrome. It's not doing it for quite sometime now including Google's Youtube playlist not doing an auto and continue/loop for videos in all categories.

Right now I use 1Password with chrome on some sites and for others that I feel more secure with Safari being that I have an iMac. I do not add browser extensions anymore for added security. I still have my Dell Windows 98 PC from 1998, where my flatbed scanner is connected.

The last time I used it on the web was in 2006 using a Firefox that is 50 versions back. That being said I left Windows for iMac and keep things simple. NO iphones/iPads, etc. . . Pre-paid/pay-as-you go cell phone when driving only and for emergency road assistance. . . not allowing Bill Gates & Steve Jobs to take over and run me life HA HA!, nothing against them. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the details, @glow259! It sounds like you only installed the 1Password extension in Safari. You might want to try installing another Safari extension just to see if the same problem happens with that one as well (i.e. it goes missing after restarting Safari). I suspect this is a Safari issue with all extensions, although it's hard to tell for sure since you've only installed the 1Password extension. If you decide to test another one, you can of course uninstall it later - although it sounds like it would do that automatically. ;)

I'm glad to hear 1Password is working well in Chrome! At least you can use that as an alternative while working on the problem with Safari. If this is indeed a problem with Safari extensions in general, I'm sure Apple should be able to help fix that. But please let us know how things go, I'm very interested to see how this turns out!

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Very Very complicated entanglement. . . ugh!!. . . but I will spare you the pesky details with my mac app store edition I have right now. . . . which is not working well with the new safari edition extension not keeping intact, that will be brought to the attention of the apple store genius bar together with my other iMac issues that need their expertise.

About:
    Order Total: $29.99 USD single license
    Order Number: 2E931xxxxx451122G ( x = edited for privacy)
    Paid With: PayPal <- on 10.16.15 @ 1:54 a.m.

When I try to download the new purchase:
    Error message 1 - “ There is no application set to open the document “ both in safari and chrome in my new iMac

Then I went for the following below thinking the software update available should work to your “convenient” update version that is in gold logo? as opposed to the current blue I have? and. . . it is already paid for from your website. BUT here is another headache. . .

Error message 2 from my apple software update: "Update Unavailable with This Apple ID:
    This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled." Could this be the reason to my safari extension headache? I've been using 1Password with google chrome only, especially if it will require that I disable my keychain to avoid conflict. My keychain is fine and will leave it as it is.

Re: " Switching to the version of 1Password from the AgileBits Store" https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/

This is probably the solution to my above-mentioned problem but. . . " You’ll be asked a few configuration questions before being taken to your vault. Do a quick skim to make sure that your Logins, Secure Notes, and other items were imported successfully. All of your preferences will be reset, so if you were previously syncing 1Password, you will need to reconfigure your sync settings." <- I do not know what this is all about. synching? I have no icloud with no wireless gadgets such as iphone or ipad just my new iMac 5K retina desktop as originally mentioned in my first introductory post on this thread and it should stay intact, but. . . configuration questions? Do a quick skim? to make sure items were imported successfully? What are these and what are the risks I am taking to proceed? Would I know the answers to the above configuration questions?

I think this is too much to accommodate just to keep the convenient use of my google chrome on some, which I do not get from Safari.

Do you have an alternative support venue with privacy, like a phone number or email contact? If not, do I want my purchase details with my paypal and receipt payment info pasted here to be read by all? if it came to troubleshooting payment issues?

SO what gives. . . do I want it? or should I ask for a refund and delete my stored passwords and remove your 1Password? Here I thought - make my internet and iMac simple with basics so it does not rule my life with unnecessary time consuming nonsense like what I have been going thru per above. It is now 5:20 am my time, can you believe this. . . signing off.

Please reply A S A P!!

Thank you!!!

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Hello @Drew_AG . . . do you have additional tips for the above? Where/how do I process a refund request if there is no solution? Thank you!!

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Update with Paypal's help for details I cannot access at your site. Bottomline and maybe, the reason I'm not able to download/access license - even though it appears as available according agilebits - is to wait till the purchase is processed by agilebits. I'm still insecure after what I've been through to proceed in uninstalling my current version to give way to the purchased one via paypal. . . as stated per above details previously posted.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

Hi @glow259,

Sorry for the delay in responding, we're slowly making our way through an increased number of queries.

So the issue with the extension going missing isn't related to any of the other issues you're experiencing. Even if you didn't have 1Password at all you should still be able to download and install the extension. It wouldn't do anything but it should still be there. Normally completely resetting the Safari database solves the issue. That's just one of the points you've raised though.

Given the number of issues you're trying to communicate I don't think the forums are the best format for you, I will email you momentarily.

ref: HNH-32922-971

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

ATT @littlebobbytables

Dysfunctional "Leave a Comment"

This is the only way to erase unwanted draft by replacing it with this one. To erase original to leave it blank does not work. :( :(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glow259,

I apologize if you had some trouble with a response here!

It looks like you've received the emails that littlebobbytables sent you. I'm sure we'll be able to help get things straightened out for you. Aside from all that, if anything new comes up, please feel free to start a new topic. Thanks! :)

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member

Thank you @Drew_AG and @littlebobbytables,

I got the scheduled phone support an hour ago and the smooth transition from expensive Mac app store 1Password which included the icloud feature which I do not use - - no wireless devices - - to Agile site's 1Password5 purchased on 10.16.15 for my chrome worked out well :)

• Hey @glow259! Just wanted to follow up with you here. It sounds like the phone call went very well. :) If you have any other questions about things, feel free to let us know.

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member

Thank you @penderworth :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.