Accidentally kept using 1Password 5 (app store version) after installing the agile web store version

Options
JorgeGT19
JorgeGT19
Community Member

I now find I have two 1Password files and find that the agile app version:
1. has no option to sync primary vault to iCloud - only has the following options: None, Dropbox & Folder.
2. has the backup files located in the '......library/application support/1password4/backups' folder.
3. has 6 less passwords; and
4. I'm uncertain if the similar entries from either version may have been modified.

Note: I have re-signed onto iCloud, but there is still no iCloud option to sync from.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:two separate 1password files in use

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

1P from the AgileBits store does not support iCloud to sync your 1P data following changes made by Apple on the launch of OS X Yosemite. If you need to use iCloud you will want to keep the the Mac App Store version of 1P. If you use ⌃⌘Q (control + cmd + Q) to exit 1P you can launch the other version without any problem. You can do that to check if your AgileBits store version has any passwords which are not in your Mac App Store version. Once you've ensure the Mac App Store version is up to date this knowledge base article should help you move fully to the Mac App Store version:

Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JorgeGT19,

Stephen is correct - iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac because it uses Apple's new CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. We have more information in these knowledgebase articles:

It sounds like you had previously been using the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Is there a reason you switched to the AgileBits Store version? If not, you can switch back to the Mac App Store version if you want to use iCloud sync. Or you can continue using the AgileBits Store version and start using Dropbox sync, which is also a great option.

2. has the backup files located in the '......library/application support/1password4/backups' folder.

That's correct - the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions of 1Password store data in different locations on your Mac. The Mac App Store version stored its backup files here: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

3. has 6 less passwords; and
    4. I'm uncertain if the similar entries from either version may have been modified.

So it sounds like the Mac App Store version has more of your data, but you're worried you may have updated some items in the AgileBits Store version? If so, you can compare the items that have been updated recently. Open one version of 1Password and choose All Items in the sidebar, then sort the list of items by Date Modified (the sort options are right under the Search field). Check your recently modified items, then ⌃⌘Q (control+command+Q) to quit 1Password and 1Password mini. Open the other version of 1Password and do the same thing to check the recently modified items.

If all your latest data is in the Mac App Store version, then you can simply drag the AgileBits Store version (named 1Password 5.app) to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning tools). If you have some different recent changes in each version and need help getting all the latest data all in one, just let us know and we'll be happy to help with that. :)

• JorgeGT19
    JorgeGT19
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks Stephen and Drew,
    I believe the reason I changed to the Agile Store version was that I (incorrectly) understood that due to Apple App store restrictions you were now only providing the app from your site. I just finished reading an article on your site on the differences between the two versions and so I realise I had misunderstood things. Never mind.

I would rather keep the iCloud access so I exported the items from from the Agile app and imported them into the Mac app. I think I must have not realised the Mac app icon had remained behind and so managed to switch back to it after having commenced the Agile app. Fortunately I only did that once and had merely four items to move over to the Mac app.

The iPhone app, which was sinked to iCloud mirrors my mac now so I think I've done it right but just incase I'll keep the keep the Agile store version for a bit. Thanks for you prompt assistance in this matter. Also, love your app, love it's features wouldn't use anything else. Hopefully one day Apple will open things up a bit more - it seems to be slowly happening.

Regards
    Jorge

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JorgeGT19,

You're very welcome, and I'm glad it's all straightened out now! Thanks for following up to let us know.

I'm really happy to hear you love 1Password so much - we want our customers to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it! :) If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you.

This discussion has been closed.