The installer for an Office For Mac update won't take my Apple username and password.

Options
gayemacy
gayemacy
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

What, then does it want? I tried copying and pasting from my password. It would not accept a paste. Then I did a reveal password and painstakingly typed it in. No go. It had my first and last name as my user name; I changed that to my email address. Doesn't it want my Apple login?

Also, for your site, once I log in, it would streamline things if it could remember my iPassword version, the extension version, my OSx and sync type so I don't look it up every time, as a suggestion.

Thanks Techies!

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OSx 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

Now the version that you say you're running would indicate that you purchased and are using is the Mac App Store version. If this is the case, if you purchased and downloaded 1Password for Mac from Apple's Mac App Store then any updates will come via the App Store application on your Mac and yes, if it needs to authenticate it will be asking for about your Apple ID. That will be an Apple prompt though and it should be making it clear that this is what it is after. Now version 5.3 is still the latest though so you shouldn't be seeing anything about 1Password updating right now. As a result I'm not entirely sure what is asking for for a password and why.

I see the value in your suggestion but it is a double-edged sword. People visit when they have an issue which we really hope isn't too often, if 1Password is causing you troubles on a regular basis we'd be disappointed that you're not having a better experience. It does mean though that things like the version information may not be the same each time depending on whatever updates have happened since you last visited. We will take it on board though.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry - I wasn't clear - OFFICE has an update, and when I use 1Password to fill in my name and apple ID, it isn't working.
    I LOVE 1Password, having finally figured it out for both computer and phone.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @gayemacy,

So that helps clear things up a bit, thank you :smile:

If the software was purchased from Apple's Mac App Store then yes, it is possible the App Store is asking you to authenticate and will require your Apple ID email address and password. If the software was purchased elsewhere and you installed it yourself then it is more likely the prompt is asking you for your OS X username and password for an admin account because it needs to write files somewhere that requires elevated privileges.

How do you feel about taking a screenshot of just the window asking for the password and showing us? We'll should be able to let you know what it is asking for based on the text. Now these are public forums so please don't post anything here if it contains anything remotely sensitive like an email address or username. I'm sure we can help you resolve this :smile:

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Dear Little Bobby,

I recall learning an English nursery rhyme about a man with a similar name - Little Bobby Shaftoe. It was a cute song with an historical base.

Anyway, Microsoft Office sends notice of an urgent update (I don't know how to insert the screen shots into the text, but this would be Screenshot 1)

I get as far as agreeing to everything, and it starts to install (Screenshot 2)

Then it all stops when it shows my name (which I never use with initial caps and a space like that - it's always an email address or another form of my name) Also, I don't know how not to show my name here or smudge it out.... (Screenshot 3). Do you think you can hide the name for me?

I've done a complete shutdown, tried it a couple of days later, and also copying the password from 1P into the window, but it won't accept a paste....

Thanks for your help!
    (BTW - when I drop a screenshot in, it shows as a png file, rather than a jpg or pdf. Is that right? Also, it appears below the message box, but within the message as well as lines of text or code. OK to delete those and the image will still appear below?)

; )

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

Having peeked at the third image I've removed it from your post so that nobody else can see it :smile:

Thank you for those screenshots, they were incredibly instructive in understanding what you're seeing and I'm confident I can now explain everything to you.

So you own Microsoft Office as you know and they've included as part of the software code that checks to see if there are any updates available. We do the same in our AgileBits Store version of 1Password as it's the only way to ensure users are aware of available updates. So Microsoft's software updater has popped up but to install the update it is asking for authentication with OS X. So what it needs is the username and password for an admin account on your Mac. Most people create an admin account and run everything from there and if you aren't sure you almost undoubtedly fall into that category. So it should be able to proceed if you supply the password you use to log into you Mac when you turn it on.

I'm pretty sure you'll be reporting success but let us know if it isn't working for you.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Brilliant!!!! Thank you so much! LittleBobby, you have many gold stars in my heart ; )

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have a big grin on my face right now @gayemacy, thank you for your kind words and I'm really happy we could help with taming Microsoft Office :smile:

This discussion has been closed.