Can not install in Firefox 41.0.1

Try as I might I can not get the browser extension installed in Firefox 41.0.1. 1Password repeatedly tells me that Firefox is running even though Windows task manager show no Firefox task

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windws 7 x64
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:firefox, kb:v3-extension-firefox, kb:missing-extension-button

Comments

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

I even tried following the procedure here https://support.1password.com/cannot-install-extension/ only to be told that the extension file is corrupt when I dragged it over the the Addon window.

I was able to install the previous version of the Firefox extension 4.4.3 without any issue. Can some check to see if in fact the 4.4.4 Firefox extension is corrupt? I could not even open the XPI file in an unarchiver app here.

• Markusagile
    Markusagile
    Community Member

I cannot get the new version into new version of Firefox. The installer tells that earlier version is already running. I cannot uninstall the earlier version perhaps, it always returns. Should i forget about 1password, it has been increasingly unusable the last 6 months

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Fedup: Oddly enough, it sounds like you're both having trouble because you're trying to install the Safari-only 4.4.4 update in Firefox. Please install it directly through our extension page, which will give you the latest signed Firefox extension:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

I cannot get the new version into new version of Firefox. The installer tells that earlier version is already running. I cannot uninstall the earlier version perhaps, it always returns. Should i forget about 1password, it has been increasingly unusable the last 6 months

@Markusagile: However, if you're trying to uninstall an old version of 1Password, be sure to restart Windows and then run the uninstaller in Add & Remove Programs when it starts up. And if you're still having trouble, some basic information about your setup and the exact steps you're taking will help us better help you! :)

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

@brenty All I know is that I downloaded the Windows installer which installed the application along with the Chrome and IE extension however it consistently complained when I told it to install the Firefox extension. I also tried saving the firefox extension from that page as my second post indicates and the XPI file appears to be corrupt. I can not open the file in an unarchiver and Firefox refuses to install it. I was able to install the 4.4.3 extension with no problem.

This issue is moot anyways. Due to the 1 Password windows version of the application apparently not being able to import a normal CSV file from Lastpass (https://support.1password.com/import-lastpass/) I had to spend an hour using your perl based data convertors https://support.1password.com/import/#other-programs-data-converters-/. I received no errors during all of the configuration steps of the util but consistently got the same error when I finally issued the convert command to import the Lastpass CSV file. I gave up in frustration and uninstalled the 1Password.

You really need to implement an better import feature in the Windows version of 1Password that is alot more user friendly. Requiring the end user to have to create a CSV file so that the fields are in a particular order (https://support.1password.com/create-csv-files/ ) is, I am sorry to say, unbelievable.

The process should allow the end user to select a 1:1 relationship between the fieldnames in the CSV file, using the record layout description line in the CSV file, and the 1Password fields.

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @Fedup,

I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated with 1Password and won't be using it, we hope you'll reconsider it in the future once we figure out the issues you've reported. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the issues.

I also tried saving the firefox extension from that page as my second post indicates and the XPI file appears to be corrupt. I can not open the file in an unarchiver and Firefox refuses to install it. I was able to install the 4.4.3 extension with no problem.

We'll keep investigating but we cannot reproduce the problem, Firefox 41.0.1 installs 1Password extension 4.4.3 just fine in our testing, which is what the extensions page is supposed to install.

If you use our change-log page, it will not install 4.4.4 properly, that's a configuration issue on our side as 4.4.4 does not exist for Firefox.

I received no errors during all of the configuration steps of the util but consistently got the same error when I finally issued the convert command to import the Lastpass CSV file.

That's unusual, almost all folks have reported success with the converter except for ones that had malformed data from LastPass's export. Can you tell us what the error said, I'm sure @MrC will love to fix it for you.

You really need to implement an better import feature in the Windows version of 1Password that is alot more user friendly.

We agree and we will work on it. Unfortunately, every app exports data differently, there's no universal standard to properly do this and CSV is not the right format to use for this, it's not flexible enough to support different data structures.

The process should allow the end user to select a 1:1 relationship between the fieldnames in the CSV file, using the record layout description line in the CSV file, and the 1Password fields.

We do provide a basic relationship mapping when you import via CSV but unfortunately, it is not possible to do this uniformly for all programs that does not follow this consistently.

Here's an example of our CSV importer that loads the column headers from the CSV file:

On the left is the 1Password fields, on the right is the CSV file's column headers.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Fedup,

I'm happy to help you convert. It seems like you are so close.

You said "but consistently got the same error when I finally issued the convert command to import the Lastpass CSV file". Can you tell me what the exact error message is? Also, can you show my your conversion command line?

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Firefox 4.4.4 extension is the problem one. I had no problem with installing the Firefox 4.4.3 extension.

I tried the conversion process again from scratch today and this time it worked. However the import process was tedious because 1Password continue to complain that the Lastpass converted file had duplicate entries. It did not display any information but simply asked me whether I wanted to replace the existing entry already imported into 1Password with the current one. I was flying blind in that there was no way to tell which entry was the correct one. I had to make a note of all of these duplicates (40 or so in total) and have to now manually go back into the Lastpass CSV file and determine which one is the correct entry.

WRT to the CSV importer I tried that last night but had an issue with it, possibly user error. It probably just as well since I just tried it again and this time it seems to work. It seems the CSV importer in 1Password is only capable of importing the passwords or at least it does not differentiate the secure notes etc as they do not show up under their respective headings in 1Password. The only way to have these various entities identified properly is apparently using the perl based conversion utility.

Suggest that 1Password allow the end user to import duplicate entries by renaming the 2nd and subsequent duplicate entries slightly i.e. with a sequential number or some other unique identifier. That way all of the lastpass file is at least in 1Password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Fedup,

Ok, it sounds like you've made some progress.

The Windows importer asks you two questions:

1) Would you like to import an item named XYZ?

2) An item named XYZ already exist (sic). Would you like to replace the existing item?

For a fresh import, you always want to say Yes to All, and No to All, respectively. I don't care for this UI, and I've complained about it. it is confusing, and not necessary.

You are correct, the CSV import for Windows can only import Login items, and therefor your CSV must contain only Login items (otherwise, the data in your CSV that are non-login items get placed into Login items anyway, and the fields may no match. This is a problem with using CSV as a generic export / import data mechanism.

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member

@mrc
    I just did further analysis on the 1Password file and it indeed includes all of the contents of the Lastpass CSV import despite me saying No To All upon the first duplicate prompt. I agree that this is extremely confusing since it leaves the impression that the duplicate entries were not imported when in fact they were!

I am also looking at another product in addition to 1Password and it was able to directly import the Lastpass CSV in a second into the correct catergories . I still do not know whether either of these products are going to suit my needs or not. Still in the evaluation stages.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Fedup,

Each product is going to have its own strengths and weaknesses, so you'll have to judge for yourself which one suits your needs. I personally wouldn't let the challenging import process be much of a factor - its once and done. The key strength of 1Password is the security model and expertise, and that's a big one in my book. Hopefully you'll find what makes you happy.

• Fedup
    Fedup
    Community Member

One thing I always check is whether I can get my data out of a password manager in a format that is easily readable by other apps. Does 1Password only export Logins into CSV and if you want to dump the entire database ie accounts, secure notes etc you have to specify 1Password Interchange Format?

• Hi @Fedup,

That is correct, only 1Password Interchange File (1PIF) can export all of your items, not just Logins. CSV/Tab exports your Logins only. 1PIF is a textual JSON based file that any program can use to import all of your 1Password items. JSON is more flexible than CSV as it can provide extra metadata for each item that tells the program what the data is about.

Unfortunately, we do understand that for some folks, this isn't acceptable as CSV export of all items is a must. We'd like to look into providing several different CSV files, one per categories as this would allow you to have consistent data, something that JSON can do in one.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

@Fedup,

Consider the HTML print format you can create from an exported 1PIF file, using the converters. Here's a sample in PDF format. It would be rather trivial to output CSV instead of HTML, since the converter is using XML transformations with XSL stylesheets. You're not likely to find a more open format.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Firefox 4.4.4 extension is the problem one. I had no problem with installing the Firefox 4.4.3 extension.

@Fedup: Thanks for confirming! I'm glad to hear it's working for you. As I mentioned in my previous post, version 4.4.4 is a Safari-only release. I apologize for any confusion that might have caused.

This discussion has been closed.