One time sync between Windows and Mac

I have been using 1password on IOS and Mac successfully. I just purchased a windows licence for my work laptop and would like to sync my vaults to the new windows install. I am currently using iCloud for my sync settings and don't really want to change this. Is there a way to just copy a file across from the mac to the PC, or do i need to sync using dropbox? If I do the dropbox route, can I revert to iCloud again? Will the passwords remain on the windows PC?

Assuming switching from iCloud to dropbox and back to iCloud is possible, is this a process I can do, say every month to keep everything merged and synced?

1Password Version: 5.3 (Mac) 4 (windows)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5 and Windows 7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Assuming switching from iCloud to dropbox and back to iCloud is possible, is this a process I can do, say every month to keep everything merged and synced?

@Paul_T: Hmm. It's possible, but that sounds like a bit of a nuisance. Let's see if we can find an alternative. ;)

Now, first and foremost, syncing with Dropbox is an excellent (and free!) choice. It's how I prefer to sync my 1Password data. And your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

Additionally, Dropbox Sync has the advantage of being supported in all current versions of 1Password across all platforms, and it can be used to share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers, and also sync multiple vaults. It is not possible to share anything between iCloud accounts. The 1Password for Mac User Guide can get you started if you'd like to sync with Dropbox.

But! If you are only syncing between computers, you can actually do this with iCloud as well. let me know and I can go into more detail on setting that up. But if you need to also sync with iOS devices, you won't be able to sync with Windows through iCloud.

• Paul_T
    Paul_T
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. How about the wifi route from iOS to windows? could I do that every month or so and switch back to iCloud for the rest of the time? My company does not allow access to dropbox so i'd like to avoid it if possible. My main aim is to have the passwords available on my windows laptop - it is not a problem if the passwords are not in sync all the time. Will new passwords set up on the windows machine merge to the iOS device and vice versa with a wifi sync?

• Paul_T
    Paul_T
    Community Member

Couple more points:
    1) I tried dropbox - my company appears to have blocked access to dropbox website and servers, even when i'm on my home wifi, so it looks like it is not an option.
    2) Which option should i choose from the setup up page that comes up when I first open 1password? I have an option of, "i am new to 1password", "I have used 1password before", & "restore 1password vault from backup". None of these options appear to be a good option.

• Hi @Paul_T,

Most companies tend to block Bonjour as well, which is what we use to find 1Password on the Wi-Fi network.

2) Which option should i choose from the setup up page that comes up when I first open 1password? I have an option of, "i am new to 1password", "I have used 1password before", & "restore 1password vault from backup". None of these options appear to be a good option.

To do the Wi-Fi sync, you would need to first set up a new vault, so select the first option (I'm new to 1Password). If you want your attachments to sync via Wi-Fi, you should select the file type as 1Password Vault (*.opvault). Use the same master password as the one on your iPhone and then once you unlock this new vault, you can then perform a Wi-Fi sync to push the data from the iPhone to your PC.

could I do that every month or so and switch back to iCloud for the rest of the time?

I wouldn't recommend it, iCloud and Wi-Fi sync are sync'ed differently and you might introduce some sync issues such as duplicates or sync conflicts. However, it happens rarely and you should make sure your 1Password data is backed up properly before switching the sync options.

This discussion has been closed.