Random selection of characters for filling

keithjrn48
keithjrn48
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

How do I handle random selection? For example the banking system will ask me on page 2 to provide randomly positioned letters or numbers in my password similarly it will request I provide randomly selected positioned numbers in the secure code that I provided.
The request would appear like this.....password is Hector364......... [] [] . [] . [] . [] [] (dots have to be filled with correct letter or number)
The same with security code......... i.e. 12345............... [] . [] . .

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows V4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:create-multi-page-login

Comments

• @keithjrn48 - I'm sorry but 1Password will not be able to fill this random selection. You might want to copy/paste the password into the notepad if you need to refer to it to help you fill those random letters, but don't save that data anywhere. You can use 1Password to fill the other fields.

• keithjrn48
    keithjrn48
    Community Member

That is disappointing. Never mind

• LauraR
    edited October 2015

@keithjrn48 - I'm not sure if this is something that can be added at some point but I will add it as a feature request.

ref: OPW-508

• keithjrn48
    keithjrn48
    Community Member

That would be very useful because all my financial related sites use the random selection password or pass code system utilising username, password then pass code. The latter two are random selection. If one set the password or pass code as normal would the system not just put the password or pass code out leaving the receiving site just able to accept letters or numbers that are required? A thought. I could try it of course.

• Hi @keithjrn48,

The problem is with that word, random. Randomness is something that's hard to code against, the bank typically randomize the field names as well, so we have no way of knowing which field is for which character and when you have code that involves randomness, the consistently and accuracy is a big problem. While the site may look like it shows 6 boxes with just 3 are enabled for input, to our extension, all we see is 6 password text fields, 3 may have its type set to enabled but we don't know which character they're for. The field names won't have any patterns, so it's not going to be box1, box2 and box3.

The sole purpose of this randomization is to prevent criminals from using automatic tools to get into the site and there's a thin line between these tools and legitimate tools like 1Password. Right now, these sites have more incentives to protect your data, not to be convenient to let you log in easily.

One of the things we've done recently is add a large type on the Mac platform, you can see the screenshot here:

This might help and if it does, we'd like to bring it over to Windows in the future. We still have some more work to do with Large Type as there are some limitations with it.

• keithjrn48
    keithjrn48
    Community Member

Hi Mike
    Thank you for your reply. It is however a problem that I need to overcome unless I use the same password and pass code so that I do not forget the final process. Not a problem if I use your password generation facility because that should prevent them from getting to stage two and three of the entry process. It would be great if you could program something..

• It would totally be great if we can find a workaround for this, I agree. For now, if you want to use 1Password's generator, you would have to open the main 1Password program to view the passwords/pass code next to the site to enter them properly.

This discussion has been closed.