Backup to a network location?

Can I store my 1P backups to a network location? If so, how do I configure the pathway on Windows 8.1?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @repwebsites - to change the default location of the 1Password backups -

Run 1Password on your Windows PC.
    Go to Preferences > Backup.

• repwebsites
    repwebsites
    Community Member

Yah, we did that. We even tried creating an alias for the file path and it wouldn't see it in setup. We were using the current computer User's directory. Nothing we tried allowed us to see the networked server. What file path should we be using?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@repwebsites: Hmm. It isn't clear what type of 'network server' this is, so that may be part of the problem. I was able to easily set a network path (a router SMB share) as my backup location and save a new backup with 1Password by simply going to 1Password Preferences > Backup > Folder for backup copies, and selecting the network drive from the Network heading in the Explorer dialog. If Windows can access a network drive, so can 1Password. 1Password is just using the standard Windows folder dialog:

Now, I didn't have to do this myself, but it may help to map the network drive if Windows is having trouble seeing it in the first place:

But if you can't map it as a network drive, you're out of luck, and I'm not sure what's going on there. Please let me know what you find! :)

• repwebsites
    repwebsites
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty, this has to be on the shelf for bit as I am working through a third-party IT company that services a security networked server. I will certainly share with them what you have when I can get back to them. Please, anyone else share how you have gone about it in the time being.

• At the moment, this is only way we can support network shares. Additional tricks or tips on forcing this to work would not be supported because there is no way to determine it would not cause additional problems down the line.

• repwebsites
    repwebsites
    Community Member

My IT guy was finally able to map a drive to the secure server. Brenty your help tipped him off to what he wasn't seeing. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad that helped! Indeed, I find mapping a drive letter makes it much easier to work with network storage in Windows. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.