Can't open Vault on Different Machine

Hello,

I set up a vault on my home machine and had it set to reside in a OneDrive folder. I then tried to open it on another machine from that same OneDrive folder, and get an error that it is "not a vault". I assumed this would work since it's basically the same as the local file system, but is there something in the way the vault is constructed that it can't be used this way? I see other posts asking for OneDrive support, so maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm unclear on why this doesn't work.

The first machine is Windows 10, the second is Windows 8.1.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stryker115: It should work. While 1Password doesn't understand anything about OneDrive in particular, you are correct that it shouldn't make a difference if it's reading from the local file system. Verify that both are pointing to the same location and that the vault itself is complete, and then try 1Password File > Repair 1Password Vault on the originating computer. It may simply be damaged. Please let me know what you find! :)

• Hi @stryker115,

This happens because the 1Password folder hasn't been set to be available offline. OneDrive will show you the metadata of files that looks like it exists on the drive but it won't download it until you ask it. /cc @brenty

Here's our support article on how to fix this: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/onedrive-skydrive

You can set the 1Password folder to be made available offline and then once it is fully downloaded, open 1Password, it should be able to read it properly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This happens because the 1Password folder hasn't been set to be available offline. OneDrive will show you the metadata of files that looks like it exists on the drive but it won't download it until you ask it. /cc @brenty

Ah yes. I should have been more explicit: if you don't have it set to be available offline, it obviously won't be accessible in the local filesystem. Thanks MikeT! :)

This discussion has been closed.