"1Password has encountered a problem" message box won't go away

dlorde
dlorde
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm running the trial version of 1Password with the Chrome extension, under Windows 10.

After spending an hour importing my data from another popular password manager (thanks to Strawberry Perl scripts), I found that one imported multi-page login wasn't working. So I tried the 'Save New Login' option, but 1Password told me I couldn't add it because 20 was the limit in the trial version. I reluctantly deleted all the imported data and tried again. This time I was able to save the first login page, but on saving the second login page, 1Password asked me if I wanted to replace the first one... I said 'no', and the 1Password application displayed both items with the same title and location. It then displayed the "1Password has encountered a problem" message box with the 'Send Error Report' and 'Don't Send' buttons. Neither button has any effect, nor does the window close 'X' button at the top, and the link to see the contents of the error report also does nothing.

I'm now effectively locked out of the 1Password application by a message box that won't go away. I guess I'll have to kill it from Task Manager, but I'm curious to know if I've missed something simple...

Comments

• @dlorde - I'm so sorry that 1Password crashed after saving that second page. Are you able to kill the 1Password app and then re-run and edit the name of that second item? If you still continue to have problems, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Hi Laura, thanks for the quick response; I was able to kill 1Password and I have been able to get it to work correctly by deleting the problem entry and recreating it.

So far so good - despite being a little fragile (I've had several error message boxes), 1Password is currently leading the password manager pack for my requirements, thanks to the 'Save New Login' feature.

If you could get the developers to integrate import of data from other applications into the Windows version of 1Password, it would be a great help.

• @dlorde - I'm glad it's working OK now and I will pass on your feedback about more integrated import options.

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

I spoke too soon - after I saved the logins for the problem site in 1Password, it no longer entered the field data correctly (I'm guessing it's because each field on the page is a declared as a password type). Also, the 1Password application crashes almost every time I use it to edit items.

If I get the time, I'll send an edited diagnostics report, but I'm not too keen on sending the full keychain and all my system info.

Also, the Firefox extension fails to install after download with a 'connection failure' message (the internet connection is working fine).

I think I'll move on...

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @dlorde,

Can you tell me if you're using a Surface or tablet that's running the Windows 10?

Your 1Password data file is never included in any situations. The diagnostic report basically collect the configuration settings of your PC, the list of running processes, your browsers, and 1Password, including the metadata about backups and data file but data itself is not included. We use these information to see if there's a third party involved on your computer that could be causing the problem.

Also, the Firefox extension fails to install after download with a 'connection failure' message (the internet connection is working fine).

Do you have Avast, BitDefender, or BullGuard running?

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Hi Mike,

I'm running on a Dell XPS 8500 tower PC.

I don't have Avast, BitDefender, or BullGuard running (or installed).

I realize the password item data itself isn't included in the diagnostics zip, but the 32 hex character filenames (with the .1Password extension) corresponding to each item in the vault are included. This makes me uncomfortable. Just sayin'...

However, at present, the app is crashing or showing error messages so often, it's a pain to use.

I may try uninstalling and reinstalling, but... I dunno.

Here's a snapshot of a typical crash (where it hasn't locked solid or vanished) - multiple DLL access violation errors:

E.T.A. I just tried downloading the Firefox extension from the _alternate _location (AgileBits server, hosted on Amazon EC2), and it installed OK. So, that's something good...

• Hi @dlorde,

I realize the password item data itself isn't included in the diagnostics zip, but the 32 hex character filenames (with the .1Password extension) corresponding to each item in the vault are included. This makes me uncomfortable. Just sayin'...

These are just the UUIDs for the items, it doesn't reveal anything. Each user has their own unique ID per item, this helps us figure out if 1Password has a problem with a specific item, we can tell you to open this item in 1Password via its UUID without us knowing anything about the item.

Here's a snapshot of a typical crash (where it hasn't locked solid or vanished) - multiple DLL access violation errors:

Yea, we're trying to track that down but most of the error reports we're getting says that it is not coming from us but from Windows.

We think we may have worked around this in the latest beta. Could you try installing the latest beta and see if it works? Here's how to update to the latest beta:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and click on the Preferences button
    2. Go to the Updates section, check the box next to Include Beta Versions, and press OK to save the changes
    3. Go to the Help Menu > Check for New Version and let it install the beta.
    4. Reboot your computer and see if 1Password is more stable now.
  • dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member

OK, I'll give it a shot - I'll get back to you...

• We'll be here waiting for your report.

We can confirm that it works for some users but not all yet, so we're making some progress. We're investigating a related issue and if we think it is the same, we should be able to have another fix coming soon.

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member

OK - apologies for the delay - that beta version seems to have stopped the frequent access violation crashes. I've had a few other error message boxes and some lock-ups, but it's much better than it was.

• Interesting, @dlorde.

Please let us know if you encounter crashes again. We're in the process of tracking a very hard-to-nail-down bug that seems to affect a few users.

Cheers!

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @dlorde,

We think we found the cause and has shipped a major improvement to fix this in the latest beta, 4.6.0.BETA-591. Can you install the latest beta and let us know if it fixes all of your issues at once?

Please let me know.

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member

OK, I've installed it - no problems so far, but early days.... I'll let you know if it does crash again.

I appreciate the level of support you guys are giving :)

• That's good to hear, hopefully, it'll stay like that for good.

• dlorde
    dlorde
    Community Member

Just checking back in with an update: I've been using 1Password now as my main password manager, and since the October 22 beta installation (and subsequent updates), I haven't had any crashes, app failures, or error messages.

Good job! Thanks to all.

• That's awesome, thank you for the update.

This discussion has been closed.