Will the latest 1Password for iOS sync with OS X Mavericks (1Password 4, I think)

Options
cdrowell
cdrowell
Community Member

I am planning to get 1Password for my Mac (which is running Mavericks) and my iPhone (iOS 9). Will I be able to sync them (probably using Dropbox though maybe wi-fi) ? Any issues I need to watch out for ? Can't upgrade to Yosemite due to other apps on the Mac.

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.9
Sync Type: wi-fi
Referrer: forum-search:can i buy for mavericks?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cdrowell,

I'm happy to hear you're planning to get 1Password for your Mac and your iPhone! :)

The latest version of 1Password for iOS is version 6, and yes, that can definitely sync with 1Password 4 for Mac (which supports Mavericks). You can use Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, and we have steps to set those up at these links:

Please note that the Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 4 for Mac does not sync attachments, and does not work automatically. Other than that, I don't believe there are any issues you would need to worry about. Hopefully that helps, but if you have any questions, just let us know! :)

• cdrowell
    cdrowell
    Community Member
    Options

That's great ! Thanks. One other question - can you sync through the lightning cable (similar to the way you sync iTunes)?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

can you sync through the lightning cable (similar to the way you sync iTunes)?

Sorry, you can't do that. although you might find something of interest in this excerpt from the user guide (although it is designed for advanced users, so beware!):

Folder Sync

Stephen

• cdrowell
    cdrowell
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm... ok. I suppose the real challenge would be how to get the file onto the iPhone and have 1Password on the iPhone use it. Guess I'll have to go with wi-fi. I assume it can deal with changes made both on the iPhone and on the Mac before they are re-connected for syncing ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, so sorry—of course folder sync is no good for getting the keychain on to the iPhone. It does sound as though you're going to need to use wifi sync. Sync is bi-directional so you should have no problem updating both ways when you sync. You may need to check for conflict fields (which should be flagged by 1P) just to be sure it's worked correctly.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cdrowell: Indeed. And while I personally prefer Dropbox Sync since it's automatic, local Wi-Fi Sync will work between your MaverMac and one or more iOS devices. Be sure to let us know if you have any questions! :)

• cdrowell
    cdrowell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all the help. I bought and am still sorting my personal workflow, but all good for now. How do I "close" this thread ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cdrowell: Consider it closed! I'll take care of that for you. And you're most welcome! Be sure to start a new discussion if you need anything else. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.