Feature request: sync via iCloud Drive

pfrencken
pfrencken
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Currently I'm using 1Password on multiple Macs, iOS devices and one Windows laptop (my work laptop). Due to the last one, my only option for syncing across all platforms is Dropbox. I use Dropbox for nothing else, but OneDrive for business related cloud storage and iCloud Drive for my personal files.

I would like to ask if it's possible to add a feature to 1Password to allow syncing via iCloud Drive instead of Dropbox. I'm not talking about CloudKit syncing, which is not available on Windows, but via the regular iCloud Drive. I know this limits functionality, e.g. vault sharing, but that's a feature I don't use anyway.

Having multiple syncing options would increase the value of 1Password. Appreciate some feedback on this request.

Best regards,
Pascal Frencken

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @pfrenchken,

There are no plans to switch to iCloud Drive. For our testing, CloudKit sync works more consistently than iCloud Drive will. iCloud Drive is not meant for the type of syncing we're doing with your 1Password data changes.

Apple is working to extend CloudKit support to more platforms including Windows via their upcoming CloudKit Web Services API but until it is released and tested by us, we don't have a timeframe on when it will come.

We are planning to add more sync services in the future, we have a lot of requests for OneDrive and it is something that we're already internally testing for our upcoming 1Password for Modern Windows app.

• pfrencken
    pfrencken
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback, and the explanation on iCloud Drive. OneDrive would be a good alternative as well. Looking forward to any future updates of the software. For now, I will continue using Dropbox for syncing across Mac, iOS and Windows platforms.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, Dropbox works great, but hopefully we can add others as well in the future. Cheers! :)

• su_daniell
    su_daniell
    Community Member

Add me to this request as well, with all recent talk about web security, frankly Apple is the only cloud service I trust to keep my files completely private.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the vote! I don't have any news on this currently, but hopefully we'll be able to expand iCloud support in a future version! :)

This discussion has been closed.