1Password is too slow to use on a work laptop with full disk enc, aggressive AG and slow hard drive

Spiny
Spiny
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi

I've been checking out 1Password as a alternative to LastPass. The dealbreaker for me though is performance of the Windows desktop app & browser extension. (The Android app is fine).

It's extremely slow to operate (eg pop open browser extension menu, wait for site selection after hotkeying in a username/pwd field). It's not too bad on my home machine but on a corporate laptop encumbered with a slow hard drive, overly zealous AV and full disc encryption lags opening the browser extension menu (5 seconds) and opening the vault (25 seconds).

I guess this probably has a root in the fact that the .agilekeychain folder has about 1700 files which 1password is reading (my database has ~ 500 entries).

I have tried:

• Putting the database on a RAM drive
  • Creating a database from just the URLs/usernames/password. (no "notes" information)

The RAM drive showed the best improvement, but of course raises more problems with sync.

Is performance something that is on the roadmap to be looked at? If so I'll take another look at 1Password in a few months.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7
Sync Type: File System

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @Spiny,

See if this helps at all; open the main 1Password program and go to the Help Menu > Advanced > Tune 1Password for max performance. This will disable some of features that will reduce the amount of data that 1Password needs to process.

In addition, when you close the main 1Password program, select the least used category on the sidebar, so that 1Password return to this category the next time you unlock, reducing the slowness of the unlock process as it doesn't decrypt as much.

We do have plans to improve this in the future but I do not have a timeframe on this and it will not be in a few months for sure, it's going to require a complete change of how 1Password handles your data.

• Spiny
    Spiny
    Community Member

Thanks for the tips Mike. I'll be sure to try those to see if they help.

Either way, I will definitely keep checking in and no doubt I will move to 1Password at some time. What I've read on your site gives me confidence that you put security above everything which is naturally important in a product like this.

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @spiny,

No problem, please do keep us informed of your progress, we do want to make sure 1Password is working as expected.

What I've read on your site gives me confidence that you put security above everything which is naturally important in a product like this.

We absolutely do strive for security above all but at the same time, we want to keep it simple because if security is too difficult to use, folks wouldn't want to use it. We will keep improving the product to be responsive, more intuitive and simple to use.

This discussion has been closed.