1password Chrome Exension Becomes Un-clickable

Purchased 1password yesterday and am so excited for the possibilities but my initial reaction to the setup process has been frustrating. I'm running a Win7 PC and laptop with an updated version of the Chrome browser with the 1pass extension active. I started creating passwords in 1password last night, and on both machines there was a point at which I was unable to click on the extension icon to continue in the process. I tried restarting the chrome browser, and both PC's but to no avail. Any ideas what might be going on here?

1Password Version: Downloaded on 10/13
Extension Version: Enabled on 10/13
OS Version: Win7 home-latest
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @jonp11

This sounds like a classic case of some piece of software on your PC is interfering with the communication between 1Password, the 1Password Helper (a necessary background application) and the browser extensions.
    The most common culprits are antivirus and firewall applications or the use of a proxy server.

Can you please tell us which security software you're using and whether you're using a proxy server?

• jonp11
    jonp11
    Community Member

Thanks Alex,
    I use BitDefender. Just to be clear, the 1pw helper seemed to operate normally still, though I haven't used it enough to really know what would constitute normal operation:)

• Hi @jonp11,

The 1Password extensions in your browsers do not have any interface, it sends calls to 1Password Helper, a background service on your computer, to bring up the native 1Password menus and to let you perform actions with it. When you click on the 1Password icon, that is supposed to send a call to 1Password Helper to bring up the menu for you and when you select a Login item to fill, 1Password Helper communicates that back to the extension to start filling with that Login item. Note the 1Password plug-in for Internet Explorer doesn't communicate the same way but it is the same concept.

If something is in the way, that call never arrives and 1Password looks as if it isn't responding.

When you were creating new items last night, were you saving data with 1Password extension in Chrome or using the main 1Password program to save the data?

We tested BitDefender and it shouldn't affect 1Password this way. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• jonp11
    jonp11
    Community Member

Hi Mike,
    I was assuming the "helper" was the interface that opens up when selecting the 1PW application out of the start/programs menu.
    I understand what you're saying.

Q: When you were creating new items last night, were you saving data with 1Password extension in Chrome or using the main 1Password program to save the data?

A: I was primarily trying to use the extension, but I was digging into both trying to learn the system.

I will run that diagnostic next time I'm on the home PC's.
    Thanks

• gordonk69
    gordonk69
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

I've run into this problem as well. In fact, the chrome extension is currently not working for me. Usually I can fix this by closing and reopening the browser, though that's not working right now. If that fails I can usually reboot.

I use Norton360 if that helps. Not on a proxy server.

Sent diagnostic report just now...

• Hi @gordonk69,

That sounds like something's blocking the connection between the browser extension and 1Password Helper.

Try this next time; open the main 1Password program, go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper, see if it will let you back in.

We'll reply to your email with the report as soon as we get it, I don't see it yet.

This discussion has been closed.