Is there a way to have multiple vaults open at the same time?

gordonk69
gordonk69
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I currently use two vaults - one is shared with family members, the other is not. Currently I have to reenter the master password for each vault when I switch (chrome plugin as well as 1password application). This is a hassle to say the least and it's further complicated by the fact that I don't even know which vault is currently "active" so I often enter the wrong master password, then have to enter the other one.

There should be a way to have an Uber master password that unlocks any vault I can unlock with a normal master password if this is not currently possible.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 Ultimate
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:multiple vaults open, kb:master-password-not-accepted

Comments

• @gordonk69 - 1Password on Mac and 1Password on Windows handle multiple vaults differently. 1Password for Windows does not include the concept of primary and secondary vaults, so each vault is locked and unlocked separately. In 1Password for Mac unlocking your primary vault will grant access to all vaults.

• Hi @gordonk69,

To clarify on Laura's answer, we would like to bring the ability to unlock all of your vaults with the primary master password in the future for the Windows users like we have on the Mac and iOS platforms but we don't have a timeframe on this, it will be a big change.

We do understand how frustrating it is to switch between vaults and having to remember the long vault password for each vaults. For now, I would recommend putting the secondary vaults as password items in your personal vault, so that you don't run the risk of forgetting the vault passwords.

As for knowing the active vault, the main program will show the vault name on the top title bar. The extension is more difficult and we will add this information in a future update, but you can quickly go to Open 1Password Vault menu to see what's currently being used, there'll be a checkmark next to the vault.

This discussion has been closed.