Why does it cost as much to upgrade as to buy new? [Due to ongoing sale right now, 40% off]

45caliber
45caliber
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm been a long time 1Password for Mac user and have used 1Password for Windows for some time. I was looking to upgrade from 3.x to 4.x after installing Windows 10 in Bootcamp, but I'm seeing that the upgrade price is $24.99 vs $29.99 for a full license. Am I missing something, or am I kind of getting the shaft for being an existing customer?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @45caliber,

There's an ongoing sale to celebrate the Cyber Security Awareness, all new licenses are 40% off. Once the sale ends, the regular price goes back up to 50$.

• 45caliber
    45caliber
    Community Member

Why not also discount the upgrade pricing so that loyal customers can benefit instead of only new users that have never supported your software in the past?

• Hi @45calibre,

I'll pass it on to our team for the future consideration but the upgrade price isn't lower because it's already discounted, it's just full time instead of a time-based sale.

• 45caliber
    45caliber
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

I understand that it's generally discounted, but when new customers are given pricing priority over existing customers to where cost is virtually the same, you're sending the message that there's no value in customer loyalty. That's a poor retention policy, IMO.

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

We absolutely value all of our customers, we've provided a year-long grace period to existing customers to get free upgrades to newer versions and many more. For an example, anyone who purchased 1Password 1.x for Windows since 2013 were given free upgrades to 1Password 4 that was released in mid-2014. 1Password 5 and 6 for iOS were free updates to 1Password 4 customers and so on. We do a lot of things to ensure our existing customers get more but many times, it is not as front-facing as a sale that we're doing right now.

I am sorry you feel that way but we aren't trying to send any type of message, we're just trying to offer a sale for new customers to start using 1Password and even existing customers can benefit from it by getting their friends or family members a copy.

This discussion has been closed.