Shared Vaults wont open

I have 2 shared volts via dropbox in 1Password 4.4.3 OS X (Licensed) and they wont open in 1password 4.6.0.586 in windows (Demo Mode), the error provided is Your 1Password Vault could not be unlocked with the password you provided, What can be wrong, I know the password is fine.

Thanks for your help

JAH

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @JAHT,

Has Dropbox finished its sync before you open 1Password? If not all files are downloaded, it might give you this error.

If yes, have you try switching to the other shared vault to see if it can be unlocked or both vaults shows the same message? Note it must be the vault password, not the primary master password you use on the OS X, which can be different.

• JAHT
    JAHT
    Community Member

Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply.

It finished synching when I tried to open it in the Windows PC, same problem for both vaults, as far as I know I never created a password for the 2 additional vaults other than my Master Password for the primary vault which is the same for OS X and Windows (1Password app).

• Hi @JAHT,

as far as I know I never created a password for the 2 additional vaults other than my Master Password for the primary vault which is the same for OS X and Windows (1Password app).

Are you saying when you created both vaults, you gave it the same password as the primary master password or you don't recall giving the passwords for them?

It is not possible to create new vaults without also creating a password for it, you are asked for it during the vault creation process. Each vault is encrypted by its own password, this would also allow you to share vaults with other folks without sharing your primary master password, thus isolating it for your protection.

On the Mac, we have the ability to let you use your primary vault's password to unlock all the secondary vaults as well.

Try this on your Mac:

1. Open the main 1Password app, lock it if it is unlocked
    2. Go to the 1Password Menu > Switch to Vault and select the secondary vault.

Now, try to unlock that specific vault, does it work with your primary master password?

• JAHT
    JAHT
    Community Member

Don't remember creating passwords for the 2 additional vaults, yes all 3 vaults open on my Mac but the 2 shared vaults wont open in windows.

• Hey @JAHT,

1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Windows use different approaches to working with multiple vaults. Basically, 1Password 4 for Windows handles each vault as a separate entity, whereas the Mac version treats one vault as the primary one.

Can you please try the steps @MikeT sent you to confirm whether you've set up the two additional vaults with the same master password as your primary vault?

Try this on your Mac:

Open the main 1Password app, lock it if it is unlocked
    Go to the 1Password Menu > Switch to Vault and select the secondary vault.
    Now, try to unlock that specific vault, does it work with your primary master password?

• JAHT
    JAHT
    Community Member

I did what you asked and it doesnt open with master password and I don't know the password. what options do I have?

• JAHT
    JAHT
    Community Member

I figured out the passwords for the 2 shared vaults, any way of changing the passwords of these vaults?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JAHT: Excellent! Yes, you can change them in 1Password for Windows by opening the vault in question and then going to File > Preferences > Security > Change Master Password. I hope this helps! :)

• JAHT
    JAHT
    Community Member

The only way is in windows or is there any way to change the additional vaults passwords in Mac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JAHT: Ah, sorry! You can totally do it in 1Password for Mac as well. I gave the instructions for the Windows version since that's the category of the discussion you created. Just go to 1Password Preferences > Security > Change Password. Cheers! :)

• JAHT
    JAHT
    Community Member

Thanks for your help.

• @JAHT - on behalf of @brenty , you are very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.