Family Information Type

I was a long time user of SplashId and looking to switch to 1Password. I used the converter found in the forum to convert my data. It worked very well. In SplashId I had a type called Family Information. In this type I stored, Social Security Number, birthday, passport number and expiration and a couple of other pieces of information. I can't find anything in 1Password like this or to create your own category. I see "Identity" but can't add to it. I see "Passport" and "Social Security Number" but those categories are very specific and would like to have a more general category. What have others used to store all information in a single category rather than in multiple ones.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

Hi @flgator85 ,

1Password does not have the ability to create new categories. This is an oft-requested feature, but due to the cross-platform nature of the product, legacy installations, and other factors, isn't a no-brainer.

You can either add additional fields to an entry, selecting from any of the categories, if that suits your needs. Or you can use Secure Notes as a place to store various details.

And you can create blank entries where you add additional fields, and use those items as "templates" to create identical items in the future.

Certain categories such as Login, Identity, Credit Card, etc. have very specific behaviors through the 1Password system; others are simply just data storage holders with pre-defined sections and fields. Use whichever category best suits your needs, and when none does, fall back to Secure Notes.

You can also Tag items, and create Smart Folders, to virtually group these items for your quick viewing (e.g. Family Items, or more specifically perhaps, John's Info).

I hope this helps!

• What MrC said!

• flgator85
    flgator85
    Community Member

MrC,

Thanks for the information.

I used the converter tool that you provided and it worked well. The only issue that I had was the first time I ran it on a Windows 10 machine. I had errors installing the packages in Perl. Once I ran it on a windows 7 machine, I didn't have any issues.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for the feedback @flgator85, I'll look into what the issue might be on Windows 10.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flgator85: I wanted to chime in to add that you could absolutely use an Identity item and add custom fields for SSN, license, etc. One benefit of this approach is that 1Password doesn't know anything about your custom fields and therefore will never try to fill them. But I do still prefer to have them separate for organizational purposes. Tags are great for this too. I hope this helps! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2015

Hi @flgator85 ,

I wanted to close on my follow-up. I ran into some major problems trying to create various Windows 10 installs in Parallels (there's a bug when you clone a VM that can render both the original and cloned VM as non-usable).

Anyway, I had no trouble installing the modules for Windows 10, either 32-bit or 64-bit, using the portable Strawberry Perl, nor encountered any issues running the converter. So, I'm not sure what issues you had. I think the best we can do now is to await for some other poor user to encounter the same issue you have, and then I can address it.

I hope you're enjoying 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrC: Indeed, there are some strange issues I've seen with Windows 10 as well. Since most of us are on automatic updates after starting off with different Windows versions or Windows 10 builds to begin with, there is not really a canonical "Windows 10" that's the same for everyone. Very confusing! :angry:

This discussion has been closed.