Chrome does not access 1p helper unless I disable and reload in settings/extensions each time

I get a message that 1Password Helper cannot be found each time I try to invoke 1Password after a new boot. I have to disable and then re-enable the 1Password extension evertime in Chrome settings.

1Password, Chrome, Windows 7 are all latest versions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password helper

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@9521emu: Very strange. Do you perhaps have security software or another extension running that might be blocking 1Password? Unfortunately without more detailed information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the actual OS, 1Password, and browser versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you having the same problem in other browsers as well? Thanks in advance! :)

• 9521emu
    9521emu
    Community Member

Thanks for your response, Brenty. /Firefox works fine, but I have other reasons for preferring to use Chrome with several of my password protected accounts online.

Chrome Version 46.0.2490.71 m
    1Password Version: 4.6.0.596
    Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Any help appreciated!

• Hi @9521emu,

When you re-enable the extension in Chrome, do you get a prompt from Chrome to open the onepassword:// URL scheme in 1Password? It seems like Chrome isn't letting the extension communicate but that shouldn't happen either.

Just to clarify this, when you reboot your computer, 1Password works right away in Firefox but in Chrome, it doesn't find Helper?

• 9521emu
    9521emu
    Community Member

The latest wrinkle seems to be that Chrome will find the helper if I give at least a full minute. So, no, Chrome does not seem to be communicating well with the helper. Firefox is now doing the same thing. So either patience or what ...

• Hi @9521emu,

No, it should work right away, it is very lightweight to start. I think it has to be something else slowing it down.

Could you reproduce this, wait until you get it working, and then generate the 1Password diagnostic report. Please use this guide to generate the report and in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• 9521emu
    9521emu
    Community Member

The behavior of 1Password seems quite inconsistent. Most times, if I wait a while it seems to work. I have just downloaded the newest "pushed" version of iPassword today. I will see if it fixes my woes. Thanks. I will get back to you if there is still a problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@9521emu: Please do let us know what you find! In case it helps, the way it works is the browser extensions communicate with the Helper locally on your computer. As such, it is possible for other software to interfere with this — antivirus, firewall, and proxy are the most common, since they block, intercept, or reroute traffic. Now, they generally don't have any need to do this with local traffic on your computer itself, but often they do anyway, and of course that's when we run into this issue most:

Extension troubleshooting

Another somewhat less common issue is browser updates, which will change the code signature and also disable plugin and extension frameworks while an update is pending. For me, this is most noticeable when I leave Chrome open for an extended period and find that I'm unable to load a video — no error, nothing at all happens. Restarting it will complete the update and restore normal operation.

Now it may be that none of this applies in your case, but I thought I'd mention it in case it may offer some insight and help piece some things together. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.