Switching to OPVault on multiple platforms

Hello:
I have iPassword Pro on all my iPads/Iphones, my Windows 10 machines, and my OSx Apple machines. I am running the latest software and only have one vault. I currently sync via Dropbox so all my locations use the same vault.

I want to switch over to OPVault for security on my dropbox vault. I can find a help page on how to switch to the OPVault on windows, but I have a few questions.

1. Is it best to make the vault change on the windows machine?
  2. Once that is done, what do I do on my apple machines to use the new secure vault?
  3. What do I then do on my iPhone and iPads to use the secure dropbox vault?

Once I make the change on my windows machine, should I then be deleting any old vault files from dropbox? The help page does not mention deleting the old unsecured chain file, only instructs to delete the transition file I create when migrating to the new secure vault.

1Password Version: 4.6 Windows, Newest in OSX and iOS9
Extension Version: 4.6 Windows, Newest in OSX and iOS9
OS Version: OS X, Windows 7, iOS 9
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:sync-options, kb-search:how to convert to opvault, kb:switch-to-opvault

Comments

• JohnnyFJohnsson
    JohnnyFJohnsson
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

@missinaz Hey, I'm not an Agilebits employee but maybe I can help you with your questions. First of: I used this guide for the change https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/39875/getting-your-data-into-the-opvault-format and I used my 1Pssword for Windows.

I backed up my vault, exported it as written in the guide. I locked my agilekeychain vault and created a new one but this time selected OPVault as the vault file format. After entering a master password I was able to import all my entries using the ceated .1pif file. Very easy and hasslefree process.

The only thing to make sure beforehand is to not have multiple entries with the same name (in my case I did hat multiple software versions using the same name and not the version number in the title). And all my rich icons of the logins were lost in the process.

In regards to your other questions. Just delete your current sync option on both Mac and iOS devices and resync again but this time you chose your OPVault in your Dropbox.

I hope this helps.

• missinaz
    missinaz
    Community Member

Ok . . I was able to create a secure vault . . . But now I am having trouble setting up my iPad and iPhone to use the secure vault, and I still need to know how to go about deleting the old vault.

Does 1Password tech respond to these posts? I could not find a support email address to send in my request directly. This is very frustrating. Please help Agilebits.com.

• missinaz
    missinaz
    Community Member

What I really need to know is WHAT files and folders do I remove from Dropbox to eliminate the old unsecured vault. I also want to know where to place those files and folders on my desktop so I can log into that vault as a backup if I have problems with my secured vault I created today. Obviously it will not be synced but I want access in the even I need it.

• @missinaz - you do not need to remove your old vault until you have switched over to new OPVault. Have you re-enabled sync on your Macs and iOS devices to sync with the new vault?

• missinaz
    missinaz
    Community Member

I have enabled the new vault. I see where I can log into my old vault on Windows, and via preference make the vault back to my desktop. Is the the best method for removing the unsecured vault from Dropbox?

• If you have now switched to a new vault, you can delete the old vault in your Dropbox folder.

This discussion has been closed.