Changing the colour of numbers in the OS X menubar app

Options
Gaffer
Gaffer
Community Member

Did a search and couldn't find the precise answer so forgive me if it is, but I just wanted to add a feature request please?

Firstly, 1Password is brilliant especially when syncing between iOS devices and the mac using iCloud.
HOWEVER, I would like to point out a major weakness in the OS X menubar app especially when using the dark menubar theme in Yosemite and El Capitan.

Basically, the numbers are unreadable if the brightness of the retina display is anything less than 50%. Unfortunately, screenshots take a digital snapshot without taking your current screen brightness setting into account, so if you take a desktop snap (shift, command, 3) and send it to someone, if THEY open the image and THEIR display is 100% brightness, everything looks better than it is:

^^^Even on full brightness with a retina display, the contrast between numbers and background is VERY poor and difficult to read.

Now let's see what happens at <50% brightness which many people commonly have at night for instance. To simulate this, I've dimmed the image in PS to show you what we're dealing with at dimmer screen settings:

^^^^It's simply unreadable because the contrast difference between black/dark grey and dark blue is just too low. This is a serious deficit with the menubar app imho and means I have to keep resorting to opening the main app and ignoring the menubar item entirely (thus defeating it's purpose).

So in summary, with a dark menubar theme in El Capitan and Mavericks, the passwords are only just readable when the retina display is bright and pretty much unreadable when the retina display is dimmer (<50%)

Is there any way you could change the number colours from dark blue to, say, light sky blue or orange to allow better low light visibility?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gaffer,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed report! We do have a bug report opened for this in our internal tracker, and I've added your thoughts to the issue and let our developers know that you'd love to see a fix for this just as soon as possible.

ref: OPM-2196

This discussion has been closed.