automatic backup not working

I found an old thread about this. We are busy rolling this to ~300 users at our office. The automatic backup is NOT working for Windows users at all. The old thread from 2011 suggested a full restart of 1Password would trigger a fresh backup. I have done so but still see no fresh backup.

If I manually run the backup via "Backup 1Password Vault..." which works fine to the shared network drive but the automatic backup is failing altogether. This is a pretty critical function for our users and we don't have Dropbox for users, we want to offer them a network share for backup of their vault file so if they lose their hard drive, they still have a fresh backup to recover from.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: 4.6.0.586
OS Version: Windows 8.1 64 bit
Sync Type: no sync, vault file on C: drive, backup to network

Comments

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @egray,

Are you making changes first to your database before checking to see if it is creating a backup automatically? 1Password only creates a backup on days that when you make changes to your data and it skips the day where you make no changes. There is no need to have 30 identical backups with no changes but it is more useful to have 30 distinct backups.

• egray
    egray
    Community Member

Hi MikeT, thanks for the reply. FYI, Andrew C. is helping me via email currently. I have found a workaround but it's not pretty.

I have uncovered a bug that appears to have existed since 2011 (or has re-emerged). Here is the 2011 thread and my new thread.

2011 - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/3853/automatic-backup-not-working
    My new post - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/243729#Comment_243729

Yesterday I killed the 1password process via Task Manager and then restarted the well known 1Password icon. No fresh backup still. This morning in Google Chrome it turns out, 1password wasn't working and it asked me if I wanted the "Launcher" started. I agreed and lo and behold, a fresh Vault file in my backup location finally!! It's a bug for PC at least, a logout and login will likely have the same effect but we will test.

• It is not likely the same bug considering the thread is also with the old 1Password 1.x version and we've made a lot of changes to how backups work in later versions.

I'll check with Andrew and we'll reply via email.

This discussion has been closed.