Windows 10 hotkeys not working (Ctrl + \)

Hi,

I am no longer able to use Ctrl + \ or any defined hotkey to auto-fill my passwords in either Firefox or Chrome. I have followed the knowledgepost on troubleshooting this issue, including restarting the 1Password helper, changing the hotkey, removing and reinstalling the extensions, rebooting my computer, checking the language settings.

Any support or additional troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 1Password v4.6.0.586.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10, 64 Bit, Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @wwebb,

Does clicking on the 1Password icon work? I want to make sure 1Password is working as expected and it is just the shortcut that is not working.

If yes, can you tell me if this shortcut does anything, Control + Alt + \?

• wwebb
    wwebb
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, clicking on the 1Password in both Firefox and Chrome work as expected. Ctrl + Alt + \ does not do anything. 1Password worked great with Windows 10 for a couple of months since I installed it. It stopped working about a week to 10 days ago. Thanks for your help!

• Hi @wwebb,

Do you recall if you install any new software a week ago that could've reserve these shortcuts? Also, what locale are you using, it is the US layout with English?

I should've clarify this first because Alt depends on the current shortcut. Right now, 1Password is still set to use Control + \ as the shortcut, right? If it is set to Control + A, it would have to be Control + Alt + A.

What about Internet Explorer? It works differently, it might work while the rest doesn't.

• wwebb
    wwebb
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

No recent software installs in the last 2-3 weeks. I'm using the US English language. I just installed the addon in Internet Explorer, and it is not responding either. Here's the Preferences window screenshot. Is there a way to see if another program overtook the hotkey? When I press Ctrl + \ or any other combination discussed above, nothing happens; no other application appears to have done anything.

Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @wwebb,

Unfortunately, Windows does not provide a feasible way to find out what program is looking for the shortcut.

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, we might be able to get an idea from your report. Please use this guide to generate a diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• wwebb
    wwebb
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

This is strange. Exporting a diagnostics report for either email or to file is not creating any kind of response (like any confirmation or a box asking where to save the file). I have rebooted, and still it's not doing anything when creating the report.

The only thing I haven't done yet (short of formatting and reinstalling Windows, which I have considered going back to Windows 7...) is to uninstall and reinstall 1Password. Should I give this a try? Do you have any recommendations on how to make sure the program is fully removed from my system before reinstalling it?

Thanks!

• Hi @wwebb,

First, try a reboot and see if it works. If not, you can uninstall 1Password from Windows' Control Panel > Remove Programs, that will remove all of the program files for you. You can download the latest version from here; http://agilebits.com/downloads

• wwebb
    wwebb
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

I rebooted, with no success. I completely uninstalled 1Password, removed the browser extensions, rebooted, installed 1Password and all the browser extensions, and still cannot do the Ctrl + ...

I also tried changing the shortcut key again. No luck...

• Hi @wwebb,

It is strange that you can't generate the report, we need to figure that out. Since we can't get the report, we need to find more information from you.

Can you tell me what anti-security solutions you might have installed beside Microsoft's built-in security tools?

If you open the main 1Password program, go to one of your Login items, and assuming you have the View Menu > Conceal Passwords turned on, press Control + R, does it reveal your password?

• wwebb
    wwebb
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

I'm only using the Security Essentials that is included with Windows 10. I have not added in any 3rd party security products. When I press Ctrl + R the concealed passwords are displayed only when the keys are pressed. Once I release the keys the password is concealed again.

Thanks!

• Hi @wwebb,

Can you reboot the computer into safe mode with networking and see if the shortcut works there? It will reduce the amount of programs running on your computer and if it works than we can say it is a third party interference. If it is still not working, well, that will make it more difficult to figure out.

Also, while you're in safe mode, see if you can create the diagnostic report.

• wwebb
    wwebb
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

I still wasn't able to create the diagnostic report in Safe Mode, even after reinstalling 1Password. This was just one of many frustrations I was experiencing with Windows 10, so last night I downgraded back to Windows 7. As of now, 1Password is working as expected. I may decide to upgrade again in the future once Windows 10 has had some time to work out some of the "new OS" kinks.

Thanks for all of your troubleshooting help.

• Hi @wwebb,

Thanks for letting us know, I'm glad it is working better now despite the massive OS change you had to do.

This discussion has been closed.