Crashes when clicking a site within 1password app

Options

(Present: OS X version ll.l El Capitan recently installed 1Password 3.8.22 from website I believe since I am a long time user)
After installing El Capitan, I opened 1 password and on some accounts one password will crash when I click on them. I can open the extension in the tool bar and get all the info that I need for some banking apps. I was thinking about uninstalling the app since I have the info on my iPad and then installing a new download and then sync from my pad. However not being an expert, I am worried about the process and would appreciate it if you would provide me the steps to take to prevent any problems related to uninstall, install and sync from iPad or iCloud.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: OS 10 version 11.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think the first thing to do is to check the AgileBits posts in this thread, on the 1Password 3 legacy forum. They may persuade you that the new version you need to download should be the (paid) upgrade to 1P5. :)

Just in case you do decide you need to upgrade 1P for Mac remember you can buy 1P for Mac either from the Mac App Store or direct from the AgileBits store. There are two things to bear in mind:

1. If do want to use iCloud to sync 1P data between your Mac and iPad you must buy 1P from the Mac App Store because the version from the AgileBits store doesn't support iCloud sync (following changes made by Apple on the launch of OS X Yosemite). Both versions support sync of 1P data by either local wifi or Dropbox.
    2. As you have owned an earlier version of 1P for Mac you should be entitled to an upgrade discount if you buy from the AgileBits store. However, that discount won't be available if you buy from the Mac App Store. (You can check the upgrade price on the AgileBits store here.)

Stephen

• captdsk9
    captdsk9
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I will check it out. Thanks for the links.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @captdsk9,

The first link Stephen_C supplied isn't an exhaustive list of all known incompatibilities but should highlight that this is an issue that will likely only grow as updates to OS X or browsers mean more and more portions of code cannot work. I believe El Capitan could be the tipping point between annoyances and usage stopping incompatibilities. In the past when answering questions on 1Password 3 for Mac I may point out there are newer versions of 1Password for Mac but I would leave it to the individual as to whether they were interested or not. With El Capitan we've reached the first OS X where I would encourage people to consider upgrading.

If you have any questions please do ask :smile:

• captdsk9
    captdsk9
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much and I do plan on upgrading. I am considering buying from the app store as it is not that much more cost. As mentioned in my original post, I can still get any information for a site from the extension in the toolbar. The extension, also, enters the information correctly at sites that I visit. I am retired so I do not have an extensive list of passwords. I think I will be OK and I definitely appreciate the comments from both of you and I really like 1password app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@captdsk9: I'll add that the sale will end, so better sooner rather than later if you want to get the Mac App Store version while it's cheaper.

Another thing I will mention is that you should not remove the extension until you've successfully migrated to the new version. I don't want you to lose any data. Be sure to let us know what you decide, and if we can be of any assistance! :)

• captdsk9
    captdsk9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, guys. I got the app from the app store, installed it and all went very well. It appears that all my data is correctly transferred to the new 1password. I am happy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

Excellent! Thanks or the update. I'm glad to hear that everything went smoothly! It sounds like you should be all sent, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.