Importing text files as secure notes

Is it possible to import ASCII text files as secure notes?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:import

Comments

• Hi @brucek,

No, that is not possible. Are these just text files you manually created or were they exported from a program?

• brucek
    brucek
    Community Member

Can't import these text files in either Mac or Windows version, but found a way to get them in 1 Password for Mac: drag and drop each text file on the 1Password icon in the menu bar while 1Password in running.

• Hi @brucek,

I tried this and it didn't work for me. Are you talking about including attachments inside secure notes or are you referring to creating secure note items based on these files?

We do support dragging attachments into the secure note. You can drag the files into the attachment area here:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@brucek,

This is an interesting idea. Can you describe more what you need? I would be willing to create a special converter as part of my converter suite to do this, but need to know your details, and requirements.

• brucek
    brucek
    Community Member

Hi. I had ASCII text files from a notes program (Meteor Notes) containing information that I wanted to import into my 1Passwords vault. I tried finding a way to import them into 1Passwordbut the only import capability seemed to be to import files to to create Website sign-i entries. I saw that Secure notes seemed to be the object type that should be used to get my text files into 1Password. I searched the forum for text file import and found an old forum message around 2013) where the author described the technique of dragging a text file onto the 1Password icon that was in the app/menu tray on the Apple OS X UI. The author mentioned that doing that would create a secure note for each file that was dropped on the icon. It works, and only works in the Mac version of 1Password. Doesn't seem that there is anyway to make that work in the Windows desktop version of 1Password. It would be nice if there was an import option that would allow you to import text files to create secure notes.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@brucek,

If I create a text notes converter for you, it will work on Windows and OS X. There is a little initial setup for the Windows environment, as it doesn't come with a native toolset like OS X does. The process is fully documented, and hand-holds you each step.

Two questions:
    1. Shall the Secure Note's title come from the text file's name? If not, from where?
    2. Are you able to gather and isolate all theses text notes files into a single folder or folder tree (so that the converter can just assume every text file should be imported)?

Assumption: if a text file is greater than the maximum allowable size for 1Password (and I think this is 5mb), it will output a warning and not import that particular file.

• brucek
    brucek
    Community Member
    1. The title can come from the text file's name by default. One can always change the Secure Notes title after the import operation completes if desired.

2. File import options requested:
      a. Select a single file.
      b. select multiple files from a folder.
      c. select a folder with the option of including all subordinate folders, with the understanding that all text files contained in the folder(s) would be imported.

Thank you for such a speedy response and your offer to add functionality to respond to this need. It's nice to see a developer respond quickly to the needs of his customers.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Bruce

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@brucek,

Ok, #1 is easy.

Regarding #2, this is easy to implement, but given what we're talking about, may not be easy for you to use. In case it isn't clear, we're not talking about adding this code to 1Password, since I'm not an AgileBits employee. I'd be adding a new code module to the command line converters mentioned above. Since these are command line driven, I think you're going to be challenged entering the full path name of arbitrary files across the filesystem. You used the word "select", so I want to be clear on this point.

Now for OS X, there is an AppleScript that can accept files via drag-and-drop - that could be modified to work for your needs and supply the converter with the file paths. However, this doesn't exist for Windows, so isn't a full solution. I wish I had a full GUI for both platforms, but just don't have the time to invest to create two different platform-specific apps. Additionally, I want users and others to be able to review every line of code, since we're talking about very confidential data and a compiled app would be very difficult for others to see what's inside the black box.

• brucek
    brucek
    Community Member

Sorry, I didn't realize what was being discussed was command line oriented and external to the 1Password app. So, with that in mind, item two could be modified to just specifying a single file name or a folder name with a command line option to traverse folders below that level (folder tree) and import all text files found.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

@brucek,

Ok, I have the converter done, minus a tweak or two. Before I give you bits, how do we want to specify or determine what constitutes a "text" file?

What does it do above what 1Password for Mac does via drag-n-drop onto the 1Password icon, you ask?

1. It supports importing a directory (it imports the files within the directory)
    2. It supports directory recursion (files within every sub-directory will be imported)
    3. It adds a custom field to each Secure Note named "original path" and sets its vault to the file's path so you can differentiate files (especially useful if you've done a recursive conversion, or have many like-named files).
  • brucek
    brucek
    Community Member

I'm thinking that the easiest way might be that each file must have a file extension of .txt. ...unless of course you some programmatic way of determining if a file only contains text. The only other way that comes to mind is to specify in the user instructions that all files within the scope of an import must be text files and will be treated as such by the import module.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

@brucek,

I'd thought about limiting to 'txt' or a user-specified list; however, on OS X, suffixes typically aren't used (TextEdit will by default save a file sans-suffix, for example).

Edit: sorry, TextEdit does create a .txt suffix.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@brucek,

I've posted an update to the converter suite which includes the new txt2notes converter. Review the first post at this link and download the 1.08 version in the _testing folder mentioned in that post. Follow the README.pdf instructions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrC: Wow. Where were you back in 2008 when I needed you? Just kidding. You rock, man! :lol:

• brucek
    brucek
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

@MrC,
    New txt2notes converter works great. Tested on Windows 10 OS and everything worked just fine. Will be testing on Mac mini running El Capitan soon, but expect it to work with no problems. Thanks so much for helping out fellow 1Password users with these useful data conversion/migration programs.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@brucek,

Excellent! Thanks for the status update.

Enjoy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

:+1: :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.