I can't sync with Wi-Fi. On IOS, Refresh list doesn't show my PC. Thanks

Hi,
On my iPhone, Refresh list doesn't show my PC.
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:sync-options, kb-search:sync options icloud enable in system preferences, kb:switch-to-wifi, ug:ios/sync-over-wifi

Comments

• Hi @PhG,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. As a troubleshooting step I'd like to ask you to try creating an Ad Hoc WiFi network, and see if you are able to sync over that. Instructions for doing so can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/wifi-adhoc/win.html

Please let us know how that turns out.

Ben

• PhG
    PhG
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your message.
    Unfortunately, following your instructions, I do not have the offered option "Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network".
    I have been trying in vain several other issues. No success.
    It is quite a long time I'm using IOS 1Password App for my iPhone and my iPad and, until now, I'm very satisfied.
    I thought having also the 1Password Windows Software installed will be a plus, I am not sure anymore...
    I should confess that if any Windows software or IOS application doesn't work at once, I start to be suspicious about the real opportunity to use them and than I quit.

Thank you anyway for your help.
    Have a nice day.

Kind regards,
    Philippe

• Hi Philippe ( @PhG ),

Could you please let me know which step of that guide you get to when you cannot go any further? Also what version of Windows do you have? And last but not least does your computer actually have WiFi or is it connected to your network via a cable?

Thanks!

Ben

• PhG
    PhG
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    Thank you for your obstinacy ;)
    As I told you, following your guide, I'm stuck with "4. Click Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network".
    I do not have this choice.

My PC have WiFi

My IOS "1Password" app version is 6.0.2.

Have a nice weekend.
    Cordially,
    Philippe

• Hi @PhG,

What version of Windows are you using? Did you recently upgrade to Windows 10?

• PhG
    PhG
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, I upgrade recently to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1

Regards
    PhG

• Hi @PhG,

We saw a few reports that upgrading to Windows 10 resets your home network to public instead of private. With it being set to public, it blocks all the external scans like Bonjour that we use to find 1Password on your network.

Please open Settings on your PC, go to Network, click on your Wi-Fi adapter and turn on Make this PC discoverable.

Now, restart 1Password and see if that'll help.

• PhG
    PhG
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

This option was already turned on... and the problem remains unchanged.
    Thank you anyway for your help.

• Hi @PhG,

Before we proceed, could you first email us your 1Password diagnostic report. Please use this guide to generate the report and in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PhG: Indeed. We're not giving up on you! I'm sorry for the trouble you're having, and any confusion this might have caused. Wi-Fi Sync depends entirely on your network environment, which 1Password has no control over.

I know you've already checked this: Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet, select the network adapter, enable "Find devices and content"

But also check here: Network and Sharing Center > Advance Sharing Settings, enable "Turn on network discovery"

Both need to be on, but turning on one will — confusingly — not necessarily also turn on the other.

1. Open "Windows Firewall" in Control Panel (or search in the Start menu)
    2. Select "Advanced Settings" on the left
    3. In the left pane, select "Inbound Rules" (you may see several 1Password entries)
    4. Select any with a status of "Block", select "Properties", "Allow the connection", and then click "OK"
    5. Repeat for all 1Password (or Bonjour) "Block" entries
    6. Follow the 1Password WiFi Sync instructions
    7. Release the IP on each device:

iOS: Settings > Wi-Fi > (network) > Renew Lease

Windows: WIN+R > cmd.exe > ipconfig /renew

It is important to remember that there is a lot that can go wrong with Wi-Fi in general (as I am sure we all know from experience!) It depends on every link in the chain, and the weakest can always cause it to break. I know you've probably tried some of these steps already, but I want to make sure that we account for every point of failure. Please try each of the following:

1. Make sure your devices are connected to the same network!
    2. Reset device Wi-Fi (both devices)
    3. Restart OS (both devices)
    4. Soft-reset router (if possible)
    5. Hard-reset router
    6. Reset sync settings (both devices)
    7. Forget the Wi-Fi network and reconnect
    8. Disable software firewall
    9. Disable security software
    10. If security or firewall software turns out to be the issue, turning it back on and setting an exception for the traffic may work, provided that is an option.*

*You'll need to open UDP port 5353 for both outbound and inbound traffic, which is the port that Bonjour (Apple's zeroconfig implementation) uses for connecting available services on the network.

Keep in mind that you may need to set this up in your router as well if it is blocking traffic, but generally that won't be the case.

And finally, if your Wi-Fi setup is simply not conducive to syncing, you can always use Dropbox Sync instead, which tends to work better since they handle all the heavy lifting, rather than depending on your network configuration.

And if you're still having trouble, send the diagnostics as MikeT suggested, and we'll take a look a the logs for clues. :)

• PhG
    PhG
    Community Member

Dear friends,

Sorry for the delay to answer to you but I was away for the weekend.
    This morning, wanting to solve the problem, and thanks to your obstinacy, I finally managed to sync device with my PC.

Frankly, I did absolutely nothing since my last message and the mystery remains unsolved... and, of course, mysterious...

I will be able now to check this new functionality added to my 1Password.

A thousand times thank you to all.

Philippe from Turkey

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that it's working now. It's likely that a reboot or the DHCP lease being renewed in the background sorted things out. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.