WiFi Sync problem

montylee
montylee
Community Member
1. I've looked at the topics online. The most recent is post http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/27-troubleshooting-wifi-sync-issues-not-dropbox/

2. This post says "See these instructions for configuring the sync to take place." The link does not work - Page Not Found. So Agile has a bad link. Nonetheless I read and followed all the other steps.

3. The documentation says:

Launch 1Password on the iPhone. Select Settings > Sync > Wi-Fi and turn it ON.
1Password for iPhone will display two secret sync codes. You’ll need these in a minute.

Next the documentation says (and so does the iPhone) to open 1Password on your Mac:

Start 1Password on your computer and find the “Sync” section in the sidebar.

Now the problem (I posted the steps to make sure I've followed all the instructions and the information provided).

1Password (3.5.9) on the iMac (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 10.6.7) does not show the Sync in the sidebar not matter what. Rebooted, repaired permissions, did all the steps in the top, Bonjour Browser shows it, all other apps have no problem interfacing on the Wi-Fi network, but 1Password just doesn't work.

So what else needs to be done to get "Sync" to show in the sidebar?

Comments

• bswins
    edited June 2011
    Hello montylee,

Sorry you're having issues with the Wi-Fi sync option.

Since you mentioned a broken link, please take a look at the official AgileBits iPhone sync guide: Syncing with 1Password for iPhone.

I know you've been through some of the steps, but I want to be sure you didn't miss a step due to the broken link. The guide has a screen shot of the Mac application and shows where Sync is located in the side bar.

Please run through the procedures one more time and report your results.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble syncing.

Before I go too far, I just want to mention that we now offer a method of syncing that is fully automatic, does not require you to even be near your computer, and is our recommended method of securely syncing. It sounds like you are technically savvy enough to alrady know about it, but I just wanted to make sure to include it in this post for others who may come across this thread in the future. :-)

With Dropbox syncing, you can keep 1Password up to date from across town or across the country — anywhere you have an Internet connection. You Mac doesn't even have to be turned on!

I would strongly advise going with Dropbox syncing. It is more robust (i.e., not dependent on perfect network configuration or the waxing and waning of the moon as the case seems to be sometimes with Wi-Fi syncing). Dropbox syncing is also very secure.

If you would prefer to stick with manually syncing via Wi-Fi, please read on.

On your Mac, if your iOS device is already listed in the sidebar under the SYNC section, please remove it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Delete…" (Obviously it don't sound like this applies to your situation, but I include it here for completeness. Others may come across this thread in the future. This can be a very important step when trying to troubleshoot Wi-Fi syncing.)

IMPORTANT: Because of the Bonjour networking service that Apple provides for Wi-Fi syncing, please restart your Mac and iOS device before proceeding further. You can restart your iOS device by holding down both the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears.

After restarting, please open Terminal (found in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Copy and paste this line into Terminal and press Return:

defaults write ws.agile.1Password ShowWiFiSyncAuthAutomatically -bool YES

Now, please open 1Password on your Mac and iOS device.

On your iOS device, go to Settings > Sync and turn WiFi Sync ON, then follow these steps:

1. Tap "Allow New Connections"
    2. 1Password on your iOS device will display two secret sync codes.
    You’ll need these in a minute.
    3. On your Mac you should be prompted to enter the codes automatically
    4. Click "OK" and begin configuring your sync options.
    5. Click "Sync" to perform a sync operation.

Please let me know how it turns out, or if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!
  • montylee
    montylee
    Community Member
    edited June 2011
    bswins wrote:

Hello montylee,

Sorry you're having issues with the Wi-Fi sync option.

Since you mentioned a broken link, please take a look at the official AgileBits iPhone sync guide: Syncing with 1Password for iPhone.

I know you've been through some of the steps, but I want to be sure you didn't miss a step due to the broken link. The guide has a screen shot of the Mac application and shows where Sync is located in the side bar.

Please run through the procedures one more time and report your results.

Cheers!

Brandt

As I previously reported, following the above example it is Step 3. There is NO SYNC item in the sidebar. NONE. So all steps after that can't be done.

My original questions remains valid - How do I get SYNC to show up in the sidebar?

Monty
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Hey Monty,

I see you replied to Brandt's post. I just wanted to make sure you saw my post above as well.

The SYNC section will only show up after syncing has been set up. Consider Dropbox syncing which is vastly simpler to set up and is completely automatic (unlike manually syncing via Wi-Fi). If you can't use Dropbox, we can probably get things working for you with Wi-Fi sync, but please let me know your results after reading my post above.

Thanks!
  • montylee
    montylee
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble syncing.

Before I go too far, I just want to mention that we now offer a method of syncing that is fully automatic, does not require you to even be near your computer, and is our recommended method of securely syncing. It sounds like you are technically savvy enough to alrady know about it, but I just wanted to make sure to include it in this post for others who may come across this thread in the future. :-)

With Dropbox syncing, you can keep 1Password up to date from across town or across the country — anywhere you have an Internet connection. You Mac doesn't even have to be turned on!

I would strongly advise going with Dropbox syncing. It is more robust (i.e., not dependent on perfect network configuration or the waxing and waning of the moon as the case seems to be sometimes with Wi-Fi syncing). Dropbox syncing is also very secure.

If you would prefer to stick with manually syncing via Wi-Fi, please read on.

On your Mac, if your iOS device is already listed in the sidebar under the SYNC section, please remove it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Delete…" (Obviously it don't sound like this applies to your situation, but I include it here for completeness. Others may come across this thread in the future. This can be a very important step when trying to troubleshoot Wi-Fi syncing.)

IMPORTANT: Because of the Bonjour networking service that Apple provides for Wi-Fi syncing, please restart your Mac and iOS device before proceeding further. You can restart your iOS device by holding down both the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears.

After restarting, please open Terminal (found in your /Applications/Utilities folder). Copy and paste this line into Terminal and press Return:

defaults write ws.agile.1Password ShowWiFiSyncAuthAutomatically -bool YES

Now, please open 1Password on your Mac and iOS device.

On your iOS device, go to Settings > Sync and turn WiFi Sync ON, then follow these steps:

1. Tap "Allow New Connections"
    2. 1Password on your iOS device will display two secret sync codes.
    You’ll need these in a minute.
    3. On your Mac you should be prompted to enter the codes automatically
    4. Click "OK" and begin configuring your sync options.
    5. Click "Sync" to perform a sync operation.

Please let me know how it turns out, or if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

I finally got WiFi Sync to work following the above steps. I finally was able to sync my wife's iPhone with 1Password using WiFi.

Everyone keeps talking about Dropbox sync. But the problem is that it seems that 1Password wants a specific name for the file. Yes, I can change the name and it works fine. But the moment I drag the file to dropbox and try to sync, it finds another 1Password file--mine.

There seems to be no way to get the iPhone app to look for the proper file, or to look in a folder. It uses the root Dropbox folder and the standard 1Password name.

I cannot use 1Password to move the file to Dropbox because it says the file is already there (my file). So my wife is "forced" to sync via WiFi until the 1Password app allows the user to select another file.
This discussion has been closed.