Firefox add-on not unlocking the desktop application

Hello,

When I unlock 1Password using the Firefox add-on it doesn’t unlock the desktop application so I’m having to unlock the add-on and then the desktop application separately. This doesn’t happen all the time but enough to be annoying.

I’ve noticed that when the problem occurs I enter the password into the FF add-on and the 1Password icon in the system tray changes to be an open padlock yet when I click it to open it it’s locked. So the icon always gets the notification that it should be unlocked, it’s just the main application doesn’t always open.

Unlocking the desktop app first always seems to unlock the Firefox add-on so it just appears to be a one-way problem.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

OK i've been messing around trying to find out what series of actions triggers this issue and think i've got it. When I follow the steps below I get the problem every time where my vault is unlocked in Firefox but remains locked in the main 1Password application.

1. Start with the 1Password desktop application open and unlocked.
    2. Click the Lock button on the toolbar and then click the X button in the corner to close the 1Password window.
    3. In Firefox click the 1Password add-on button and enter your password to unlock 1Password. You should notice the 1Password icon in the systenm tray change to an unlocked padlock.
    4. Click the padlock icon to open the main 1Password application. It should be locked even though your vault containues to remain accessible via the FF add-on and the system tray icon shows that it's unlocked.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@reck: That's correct. If you have "When unlocking application, also unlock 1Password in the browser" enabled in 1Password File > Preferences > Browsers, unlocking the main 1Password app will universally unlock the browser extensions as well.

If you have the main 1Password app running, it will also unlock if you unlock the browser extension, but it cannot if it isn't running. The Helper, which controls the extensions, is always running. To have the behaviour you seem to expect, simply keep the main app running in the background as well. It can minimize to the notification area, and then it will unlock with the extensions. I hope this helps! :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Ah ok so it's by design. To me clicking close just seemed to minimize the application anyway so I saw no difference between minimising and closing.

I'll try and get in the habit of clicking minimise from now on then.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@reck: Ah, you make an excellent point! You're right that the window 'disappears' whether you click Close or Minimize. I'm sorry for the confusion there.

On most of my Windows machines, I have 1Password run minimized on startup, so I just forget about it completely until I need it — and then it's already open. Maybe that could be useful for you as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.