OS to El Capitan upgraded. Try edit my folders or login passwords

Liz_Todd
Liz_Todd
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

MAC OS to El Capitan upgraded. Try edit my folders or login passwords as previously and screen goes blank. Shows in view mode however.
Seems like it won't allow any changes to previously existing folders or logins. I could always click edit before on my login and click on the password area and it would show me the password. Now it goes blank so I cancel out in case I loose that password. Copy still works for the password.
When in each folder, clicking on edit in both the title area and the field area both go blank. Exit out and view mode works fine.
Works fine on my new iPhone 6 plus.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Liz_Todd,

Can you please let us know the exact version of the 1Password app on your Mac? It sounds like you're describing something that happens in 1Password 3 on El Capitan - and if you're using 1Password 3, we have information about that in this forum post.

But if you're using 1Password 4 or 5 for Mac, please let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Liz_Todd
    Liz_Todd
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Thanks Drew. This explains it. I do have 1Password 3 on El Capitan and it is doing the disappearing trick when editing existing folders or passwords. I just upgraded the OS so this explains things. I would like to upgrade to version 5, however it looks like my license with my company has expired. When I do check for updates it says it is updated of course since I believe it's basically no longer supported. So my next question now is, how do I upgrade to version 5 without losing everything I have in version 3?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Liz_Todd,

We have just the guide to help you out:

How do I upgrade 1Password for Mac from version 3?

Our licenses never expire; you can use your 1Password 3 license key to get a great upgrade discount on a v5 license.

Let us know if you have any more questions along the way. We're here to help! :)

• Liz_Todd
    Liz_Todd
    Community Member

HI Vee,

Problem is, my license key is from my old company and it's a 50 seat key. I only want to upgrade my seat of course. The company is also no longer, although I did purchase this laptop from them fully loaded. I don't care about the one seat fee cost, but I do want to ensure I will not in anyway loose the data I have currently. I understand from the steps I am to uninstall 1Password 3.0 extensions then the app itself. I am very concerned in doing so since I do not want to loose any data - I still work for the CEO of the now defunct company - and this data is extremely important. I'm also sure I'll have to get a new license key for 1Password 5 and I'm hopeful you can tell me that doing the steps you provided, given this background and requiring a new license key, will not effect the data adversely please?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

Hi @Liz_Todd,

I'm hopeful you can tell me that doing the steps you provided, given this background and requiring a new license key, will not effect the data adversely please?

Fear not! We've got you covered. :) We'd never tell you to delete your data willy-nilly. Just follow the steps in that guide carefully (minding the red "Important" boxes), and your old data will be saved and recognized by the new version.

Your license is not linked to the saved data, it's essentially just a key that unlocks the app. 1Password doesn't have accounts, it just saves your data in securely encrypted, local files. So buying a new license won't affect your data at all.

And if you're going to buy a new 1Password 5 license, you can do so from our AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store. Here's a comparison to help you decide.

And one more link for good measure: the 1Password 5 for Mac User Guide, to familiarize you with all the new features.

I hope this helps! We'd love to hear how it all goes for you.

• rmhansell
    rmhansell
    Community Member

I have a new I Mac which runs OS X El Capitan 10.11. Since I got the new Mac - I have had trouble in editing anything in my 1Password - but on this machine only. (No problem in windows or my iPad. I have 1Password4 for Mac, Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)

The specific issue I am having in the “Edit” mode - every time I click on a field - a white box appears over it . In addition, in the password box, not only do I get a white box, but I get it with moving lines going across them. The white box does not preclude me from editing - I can still do that - but have to guess where the cursor is and on what word below the white box.

We can still log into a site as always, just cannot edit properly. Not sure what to do here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rmhansell: As Drew mentioned above, 1Password 3 does not support EL Capitan. It was designed back in 2009, has not been under active development for years, and won't be receiving updates.

As you mentioned, it still works on El Capitan, but there are some display glitches (as well as the lack of support for modern browsers), so the best thing to do would be to upgrade to 1Password 5, which fully supports El Capitan. This is a paid upgrade if you do not already have a valid 1Password 4/5 license, but if you've already got a valid 1Password 4/5 license, it's simply a matter of following the instructions in the license email to install can register the app. To that end, I've resent your license information, so be sure to look for that.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.