How to make a user's Vault the default every time

Options
calguy
calguy
Community Member

I thought I had an answer to this, and even responded to another posting as such, but it does not seem to be the case.
Here is the situation: 2 vaults, successfully synced. Let's call them Primary and Secondary. Two users (separate logins and user ID's) on the same computer.

What needs to be done so that whenever user #1 opens 1Password in her work environment on the Mac it will always ask for the Primary password, and when user #2 changes to her work environment (after #1 logs out and #2 logs in), 1Password will always ask for the Secondary password?

I know before entering a password you can use "Change Vaults…" to bring up the desired vault, but that is not as elegant as 1Password remembering the user's last vault. I actually thought this was the case, but it does not seem to stick.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Does user 1 need access to the secondary vault at all? If No, then each could install 1Password in their own account and set up separate vaults. If user 1 needs access to both vaults, while users 2 should only have access to vault 2, user 1 could sync vault 2 to Dropbox and share that vault only with user 2.

Directions for sharing a vault are here: Share a vault.

Have I understood your question correctly?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @calguy,

There is one bit that I'm unsure about, are we talking about two users accessing a single OS X user account or do they have separate OS X user accounts, each with their own instance of 1Password and that they both happen to have the vaults added in the same order?

The ordering of vaults is specific to each copy of 1Password and when I say copy, each OS X user account stores its own preferences and vaults - they're completely separate thanks to OS X's ability to allow multiple user accounts. So if we're talking about two user accounts we can definitely change it so that the primary vault in each is the correct vault for that person and not the same vault in both cases. I think we'll have a better idea how to proceed once we learn a bit more :smile:

• calguy
    calguy
    Community Member
    Options

Let me respond to both of the above, although I think "littlebobbytables" may be sitting on the answer.

Neither user needs to access the other's vault. I had set up the shared vault as explained in the link prior to my post. When the ".agilekeychain" in Dropbox for user #2 is double-clicked, 1Password opens and asks for user #1's password.

1Password is in the folder Macintosh HD>Applications. This folder is common to all users on the computer and is the default location for applications.

Each user has their own separate OS X user account (you have to log out of one and log into the other for access). Each has 1Password in the folder above (only one instance of 1Password exists on the computer), which is to say, common to both.

So…?

Thanks to both of you for your assistance.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @calguy,

Thanks for the additional information!

So, to avoid confusion, it's best to think about each Mac OS X user account as a completely different Mac. Technically there's only one copy of the 1Password app, but each OS X user account would have its own 1Password database that is separate from other OS X user accounts, just like it would be separate from a user on another Mac.

Therefore, User #1 can log into OS X User Account #1 and open 1Password, and they'll be prompted to unlock the Primary vault that is set up in 1Password on OS X User Account #1. Likewise, User #2 can log into OS X User Account #2 and open 1Password, and they'll be prompted to unlock the Primary vault that is set up in 1Password on OS X User Account #2. And if I understand, that's the way the users want it to be set up because, as you said, "Neither user needs to access the other's vault."

But what I'm confused about is that you also said you "set up the shared vault as explained in the link". If the two users don't need to access each other's vaults, why did you need to set up a shared vault?

Also, how is it all currently working on each OS X User Account? What happens when User #1 opens 1Password on OS X User Account #1, and what happens when User #2 opens 1Password on OS X User Account #2? From your description, I'm not sure if there's a problem with the way things are currently set up, or if it's working as expected, or if you haven't set it up yet and just had some questions before doing so.

Sorry for all the confusion! If you can let us know some more specifics about how things are set up and working, and how you'd like that to be changed, we should have a better understanding. Thanks!

• calguy
    calguy
    Community Member
    Options

As a new 1Password user, and knowing in advance that there would be 2 vaults, and perhaps not as familiar with the terminology as I am now becoming, the two vaults were set up by one person (me) using the share method. This might explain _"If the two users don't need to access each other's vaults, why did you need to set up a shared vault?" _

So for better or worse, there are two vaults that can be switched back and forth assuming passwords for each are known. But sharing is not a requirement.

"What happens when User #1 opens 1Password on OS X User Account #1, and what happens when User #2 opens 1Password on OS X User Account #2?

When user #1 opens 1Password on user account #1, the password for vault #1 is requested. But, when user #2 opens 1Password on account #2, the password for vault #1 is requested, not for vault #2. As I said a the previous post, it is possible to use "Change Vaults…", but why doesn't it default to the last used vault? Or more precisely, what needs to be done so every time user #2 opens 1Password, the password for vault #2 is requested.

And just to make matters more interesting, and hopefully simpler, user #1 doesn't care which vault is requested, although right now it is vault #1 every time.

• Hi @calguy,

Thanks for the additional explanation. I think we have what we need in order to get this fixed up for you. Unfortunately there's no way to swap around primary/secondary vaults, so we'll have to work around that.

It sounds like User #1 is already properly setup. That's great. Now let's make sure we make a backup of User #2's agilekeychain file before we continue. Once that's done, here's what we'll need to do:

On user #2's account:

• Follow the "Starting Over" guide which will effectively remove all traces of 1Password from User #2's account.
    • Launch 1Password.
    • During initial setup, make sure you either start fresh and create a new vault, or import from User #2's agilekeychain.
    • If you started fresh, after initial setup, go to Preferences > Sync, and select User #2's agilekeychain.

Once this is done, you should have the setup you're after where User #1's primary vault is User #1's, and User #2's primary vault is User #2's.

I hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rick

• calguy
    calguy
    Community Member
    Options

A bit nuclear, but I get it. Thanks.

So I take it that 1Password does not default to the last opened vault for its password request upon the next opening of the application? It always calls for the first vault that was ever created?

If the latter is the case, then feature request: Preference setting of "Make default…". :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @calguy,

I'm glad that Rick's instructions helped! To explain a bit more about how 1Password works, the first vault that you install when you set up 1Password is your 'primary' vault. This vault has special powers, in that it holds the encryption keys for all your secondary vaults. Because of this, when you unlock your primary vault, all of your secondary vaults will unlock as well. (This gets really handy when you're dealing with a whole bunch of different vaults!)

This is why 1Password always unlocks to your primary vault.

Multiple vaults is still a relatively new feature here at 1Password ... alright, technically they've been around since 1Password 4, but for such a significant change to how data is organized in 1Password, we're still working on ways to make vaults more powerful and more useful. And I'd be happy to pass along your feature request. :)

• calguy
    calguy
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh, now it makes even more sense with regards to the behavior. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Megan and Rick, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.