Two Mac's - Having trouble

Options
vrc01d
vrc01d
Community Member

I purchased 1Password directly from Agilebits and installed it on my iMac. I then downloaded the app for my iPad and my iPhone from the Apple App Store. Later, I purchased and downloaded 1Password for my Macbook from the Apple App Store. All of my passwords (100's of them) are loaded on the iMac and synched over wi-fi to the iPad and iPhone. Now i want to get the data to the macbook, but cannot for the following reasons (which I never remotely contemplated when I punched 1password from Agilebits directly): 1. If you purchase 1Password directly from Agilebits, you cannot sync over iCloud, 2. The macbook i set up with another apple id, thus I [presumably] can't sync to the iCloud account - if that were even possible.

My end goal is to have two vaults, one for me for use with my iMac, iPad, and iPhone, and one for my wife for use on her macbook (and possibly iPhone). What i need is for 1Password to run on all of these devices and access one iCloud account (despite being on multiple iOS and OS X devices). Am i asking too much here?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.1
Sync Type: Wi-Fi or ICloud (not dropbox)

Comments

• vrc01d
    vrc01d
    Community Member
    Options

I figured this out myself. First of all, because of family sharing on iCloud, I was able to reinstall 1password in the iMac from the apple App Store without repurchasing (again). This way, iCloud was available on all devices. This still didn't solve my problem, though, since the MacBook signs in with a different Apple ID. The only solution was to use Dropbox. I really wanted to have all devices sync over wifi and avoid a copy of my stuff on the cloud, but that wasn't an option with two OS X devices using different Apple id's. Dropbox works. Ended up with 1password on multiple devices, three vaults for theree family users, and syncing through Dropbox.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @vrc01d,

So there are two parts I'd like to respond to.

1. Sadly you're quite right, if you use different Apple IDs as far as iCloud goes then syncing between them using iCloud isn't a possibility. That's just a limitation to the iCloud service I'm afraid so there isn't a way around it. Now it is possible to sync two Macs without using a cloud service if this is your preference. As you've found, for a single Mac to multiple iOS devices there is Wi-Fi Sync. To compliment Wi-Fi Sync there is something called Folder Sync. Genuinely the best way to use Folder Sync is with a flash/pen drive in what was once fondly known as sneakernet. The reason we advocate a flash drive is OS X does a good job of notifying of both mounting and unmounting of the physical device and we can react accordingly. It does mean moving the flash drive on a regular(ish) basis between the two machines but it doesn't have to be religiously done, just when you need to ensure both are up to date. Dropbox does alleviate some of this and is a lot more set and forget but there are those that don't want to make use of any cloud service and we understand that.
    2. It sounds like you have now purchased 1Password for Mac from both Apple's Mac App Store and our own AgileBits Store. I just want to confirm that this is the case as if you have that's one purchase more than you needed to make. It can be a bit tough getting a refund from Apple so what I would suggest is we refund the purchase you made on our store and you use just Family Sharing to allow the Mac App Store purchase to be used on both Macs. Let us know if that's what you would like to do and we'll get it processed :smile:
  • vrc01d
    vrc01d
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the thorough suggestion. I may explore the "folder solution" as you suggest. I have a WD "My Cloud" at home in the basement that I use for Mac backup. This may be a great solution. Also, thank you for offering to refund my purchase. I did indeed purchase twice, once from Agilebits and once from Apple.

• @vrc01d On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're most welcome. Glad to hear the duplicate purchase was sorted out nicely, and you've got some useful info for syncing as well. If you have any other questions, feel free to pop in here and let us know! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.